• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How easy is it to put a plug on a network cable?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How easy is it to put a plug on a network cable?

I want to get a network cable through a brick wall and I'd rather the hole was as small as possible. Normally I'd buy a patch cable but seems I'll have to make my own - but I know CAT6 cables have a lot of very small wires and I'm wondering how much of a faff this is? When we put in network sockets in the house I bought a little kit but the handyman wired them up; is it the same stuff I need?

Should I use a bit of proper cable, or hack up a spare patch cable? Can I even remove the plug and put it back on?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Buy or borrow a crimping tool. Piece of piss to make your own. Muchness faff than bigger holes.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sorry by the way this was meant to be a separate thread, I just spent a couple minutes wondering where it went!
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Sorry by the way this was meant to be a separate thread, I just spent a couple minutes wondering where it went!

But it is in a separate thread!

Yes, you can hack a patch cable, but no, you won’t be able to reuse the plug.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

You’ll want this diagram

Comment

And one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RJ45-Cat5e-Cat6-Network-LAN-Ethernet-Cable-Crimping-Crimper-Tool-20-Connectors/153696653129

Comment

I picked up a flat network cable with a really small clip on each end which worked well for my purposes. The clip is barely any bigger than the cable.

1aTTack.de 25m - Flat Cable CAT6 grey - 1 piece 10/100/1000 Mbit/s Gigabit LAN Networkcable Flat Slim patchkabel ribbon lan cable: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Comment

I bought a cheapo ethernet crimp tool off ebay and watched a youtube vid. It's fiddly getting the wires straight and into the new "plug" but not difficult. I crimped two plugs and both worked first time.

Comment

I used to have endless fun watching the kiddies trying to make ethernet cables.

Depending on how old your eyes are, you may need glasses to see the colours on the cores.

Innerestingly enough, the cable tester from Maplin at £10 was as good as the cable tester from RS at £90.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Alternately use PowerLine network adapters and avoid drilling holes in your walls altogether?

Comment

Working...
                    X