• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

How easy is it to put a plug on a network cable?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    When we put in network sockets in the house I bought a little kit but the handyman wired them up; is it the same stuff I need?
    No, it's different. Wiring sockets requires a punchdown tool, wiring plugs requires a crimper.

Should I use a bit of proper cable, or hack up a spare patch cable? Can I even remove the plug and put it back on?
    You can take the end off an existing cable but you will not be able to re-use the plug. It does mean you would only need to crimp one end rather than two. This assumes that you can see how the un-removed plug has been wired - not everyone wires to the EIA/TIA 568A and 568B standards.

When you are borrowing a crimper, also borrow a stripper (I use this one) and a tester to make the job much simpler.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEyedJacks View Post
      Alternately use PowerLine network adapters and avoid drilling holes in your walls altogether?
      I specifically want wired network here. Used those and fallen out of love with them now we have a small wired network and rely on WiFi for the rest

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
      X