• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How easy is it to put a plug on a network cable?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DeadEyedJacks View Post
    Alternately use PowerLine network adapters and avoid drilling holes in your walls altogether?
    I specifically want wired network here. Used those and fallen out of love with them now we have a small wired network and rely on WiFi for the rest

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• openstrike
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    When we put in network sockets in the house I bought a little kit but the handyman wired them up; is it the same stuff I need?
    No, it's different. Wiring sockets requires a punchdown tool, wiring plugs requires a crimper.

Should I use a bit of proper cable, or hack up a spare patch cable? Can I even remove the plug and put it back on?
    You can take the end off an existing cable but you will not be able to re-use the plug. It does mean you would only need to crimp one end rather than two. This assumes that you can see how the un-removed plug has been wired - not everyone wires to the EIA/TIA 568A and 568B standards.

When you are borrowing a crimper, also borrow a stripper (I use this one) and a tester to make the job much simpler.

Leave a comment:

• DeadEyedJacks
    replied
    Alternately use PowerLine network adapters and avoid drilling holes in your walls altogether?

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    I used to have endless fun watching the kiddies trying to make ethernet cables.

Depending on how old your eyes are, you may need glasses to see the colours on the cores.

Innerestingly enough, the cable tester from Maplin at £10 was as good as the cable tester from RS at £90.

Leave a comment:

• adubya
    replied
    I bought a cheapo ethernet crimp tool off ebay and watched a youtube vid. It's fiddly getting the wires straight and into the new "plug" but not difficult. I crimped two plugs and both worked first time.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I picked up a flat network cable with a really small clip on each end which worked well for my purposes. The clip is barely any bigger than the cable.

1aTTack.de 25m - Flat Cable CAT6 grey - 1 piece 10/100/1000 Mbit/s Gigabit LAN Networkcable Flat Slim patchkabel ribbon lan cable: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    And one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RJ45-Cat5e-Cat6-Network-LAN-Ethernet-Cable-Crimping-Crimper-Tool-20-Connectors/153696653129

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

You’ll want this diagram

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Sorry by the way this was meant to be a separate thread, I just spent a couple minutes wondering where it went!

But it is in a separate thread!

Yes, you can hack a patch cable, but no, you won’t be able to reuse the plug.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Sorry by the way this was meant to be a separate thread, I just spent a couple minutes wondering where it went!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Buy or borrow a crimping tool. Piece of piss to make your own. Muchness faff than bigger holes.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    started a topic How easy is it to put a plug on a network cable?

How easy is it to put a plug on a network cable?

I want to get a network cable through a brick wall and I'd rather the hole was as small as possible. Normally I'd buy a patch cable but seems I'll have to make my own - but I know CAT6 cables have a lot of very small wires and I'm wondering how much of a faff this is? When we put in network sockets in the house I bought a little kit but the handyman wired them up; is it the same stuff I need?

Should I use a bit of proper cable, or hack up a spare patch cable? Can I even remove the plug and put it back on?

Working...
X