• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client laptop dilemma - roll back hard drive upgrade?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client laptop dilemma - roll back hard drive upgrade?

I need to give back a client's laptop soon that I've had for a number of years and during that time have upgraded the main drive to SSD. Thinking of rolling back the upgrade so their laptop has the original HDD so it's how they'll be expecting it if they should happen to check the hardware.

I originally used a partition resize/backup tool as the SSD was a lot smaller than the stock HDD, but to reverse the upgrade I'm tempted to just sync the changed files from the SSD back to the HDD as in theory it should be a less risky/destructive path.

Anyone tried a full file sync of a main Windows 7 drive using something like Beyond Compare, and any gotchas to worry about?

I suppose I could just gift them the SSD (though then the dilemma is whether to also return the HDD and come clean if they ask about it, rather than risk them finding out later that the hard drive is different and thinking I'd stolen the HDD for nefarious reasons), or put in the old HDD and leave it several years of windows updates out of date.

It's W7 Enterprise so licence reactivation isn't a worry.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Have you got enough time to reinstall the old HDD and leave it running the updates?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

AS a client I'd be more concerned about external staff updating my equipment without my knowledge...

But to answer the question, just give it back. Any sensible Service Manager will put in a new drive with the company's warranted build anyway. You may, however, find you have to pay them something.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        AS a client I'd be more concerned about external staff updating my equipment without my knowledge...
        This. Why are you buggering about with client kit without telling them?

And yes, just give it back. If it's a couple of years old it's unlikely to see use again so I'd just be honest and hand it back in as is.

The one thing you don't want to do is keep the truth from them or be devious. Nothing good will come of that.

Just don't bugger about with kit without approval in future.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 12 July 2016, 12:07.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Have you got enough time to reinstall the old HDD and leave it running the updates?
          Not sure how it will work. They only push out specific updates after they've tested them so not sure there's a massive list on their servers that will auto install if it spots them missing.

Maybe the updates are still in a Windows temp folder on the SSD I can transfer across and re-run. Starting to get into 'too much aggro' territory though.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I would hand it back with the SSD in place, give them the HDD and come clean when asked.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              I would hand it back with the SSD in place, give them the HDD and come clean when asked.
              +1. They will want the equipment back and the data so you do need to give them the SSD to avoid arguments...

As for why you would update to an SSD, given the difference in speed and usability, given the opportunity you would do the same....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                This. Why are you buggering about with client kit without telling them?

And yes, just give it back. If it's a couple of years old it's unlikely to see use again so I'd just be honest and hand it back in as is.

The one thing you don't want to do is keep the truth from them or be devious. Nothing good will come of that.

Just don't bugger about with kit without approval in future.

Yes sir.

It's the kind of place where forgiveness is a damn site easier to get than permission so I took a decision that my time waiting for a slow HDD to churn through loads of files was more important than the hassle of trying to get them to upgrade it to SSD for me.

I also put in more ram and a second mSata SSD, easy enough via those little flaps on the bottom. They can keep that stuff though.

I think I'll just put the now spare HDD in their laptop case on the day I hand it all back and leg it before they get round to checking the inventory of items returned. Not like I'll be going back that's for definite.

I have a feeling one of the permies is going to keep hold of the laptop in case there's anything on there they need later that's been missed via handover, so they may appreciate the free souping up I've done for them.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  +1. They will want the equipment back and the data so you do need to give them the SSD to avoid arguments...
                  Yes, need to give back the HDD one way or another as it's theirs but if I swapped them back over they'd never know the SSD existed so I could safely wipe it and re-use.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                    Yes, need to give back the HDD one way or another as it's theirs but if I swapped them back over they'd never know the SSD existed so I could safely wipe it and re-use.
                    Lots of organisations actually look at the data on laptops people hand back. If the laptop is completely clean it is suspicious - so just leave the SSD in it with their data on it to avoid having to do more explaining than you need to.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X