• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Client laptop dilemma - roll back hard drive upgrade?"

Collapse

• Snarf
    replied
    To me this seems quite straightforward.

When you upgraded your clients machine originally you cloned the spinning rust onto the SSD..
    You then used the SDD for x Years.

I see no reason why you cannot reverse the process, clone the SSD back to the old drive, then re partition back to its full size and put the original disk back in the laptop complete with all of the new data.

Just make sure you clone it the right way (Ive wiped a few drives by doing it the wrong way!), make a backup first.. Maybe two

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Yet you never like any of my posts! Our bromance is suffering.
    That's not true. I liked this one.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post2215840

Have you asked your accountant? And what about IR35?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I just came to see your avatar again. Makes me laugh every time.
    Yet you never like any of my posts! Our bromance is suffering.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Why don't you hand it all back and invoice them for the new SSD and time to install.
    I just came to see your avatar again. Makes me laugh every time.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Why don't you hand it all back and invoice them for the new SSD and time to install.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Not decided yet. No immediate rush. One moment I'm tempted to copy the SSD partition back to the HDD and at other times tempted to leave as is and hand the HDD back with all the other kit.

Probably depends how bored I get as to whether I fancy messing around with getting the HDD back up to date nearer the time.

Those seem to be the two options so may just end up tossing a coin.

Leave a comment:

• FrontEnder
    replied
    jsut be honest and tell them you upgraded the hard drive - give them both and ask for your SSD back after they've taken a copy of everything and wiped it.

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Bravo!! Only you could dig out "Captain Metaphysics and the Ship of Theseus" rather than "Trigger's Broom"

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Intel View Post
    I wonder at what point does client kit become BYOD when you upgrade it constantly....
    It's the Ship of Theseus all over again: Captain Metaphysics and the Ship of Theseus - Existential Comics

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Sorry didn't have time to read the whole thread. You can image the SSD back to the HDD to a partition of the same size. That resize the partition on the HDD back to full size.

P.S. I've also modded a client laptop
    I've installed VMware Transporter Agent or whatever it was called on some, P2V'd onto my iMac (for WHF) and MBP (for on call near site), removed Transporter, hardly used laptop.

BYOD here tho - no worries!

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Sorry didn't have time to read the whole thread. You can image the SSD back to the HDD to a partition of the same size. That resize the partition on the HDD back to full size.

P.S. I've also modded a client laptop

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    In certain businesses that would be a breach of corporate protocols and get you marched off site PDQ.
    Good job I'm 100% WFH then.

Though I understand it's not actually be a laughing matter.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Yes the partition backup/restore process is how I originally transferred it all from the HDD to SDD, but figure doing it the other way around is likely to leave a marker on the HDD (so not 100% as they gave it to me so proof of tampering) akin to how putting engine maps on a car to boost the performance leaves markers that can be spotted if looked for.

Though as the move to SSD caused the W7 enterprise licence to automatically re-activate, they may already have a marker if it activated via their server and not directly with M$. Not sure how that works, but had no come back so far.

Just putting the existing HDD back rather than overwriting it with the current SSD content may be safest option if I went down the road of replacing the SSD with the HDD. It wouldn't even trigger another licence re-activation afaik.

I don't need to make a hasty decision as d-day (decision day) is still a few weeks away.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    There are plenty of disk cloning tools around. Why not just use something like CloneZilla to clone the SSD back onto the old HDD? That way you keep your SSD and they get everything back as if you'd never done the upgrade.

Ture, or Macrium Reflect...
    Macrium Reflect Free

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    There are plenty of disk cloning tools around. Why not just use something like CloneZilla to clone the SSD back onto the old HDD? That way you keep your SSD and they get everything back as if you'd never done the upgrade.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X