• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client laptop dilemma - roll back hard drive upgrade?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes the partition backup/restore process is how I originally transferred it all from the HDD to SDD, but figure doing it the other way around is likely to leave a marker on the HDD (so not 100% as they gave it to me so proof of tampering) akin to how putting engine maps on a car to boost the performance leaves markers that can be spotted if looked for.

Though as the move to SSD caused the W7 enterprise licence to automatically re-activate, they may already have a marker if it activated via their server and not directly with M$. Not sure how that works, but had no come back so far.

Just putting the existing HDD back rather than overwriting it with the current SSD content may be safest option if I went down the road of replacing the SSD with the HDD. It wouldn't even trigger another licence re-activation afaik.

I don't need to make a hasty decision as d-day (decision day) is still a few weeks away.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      In certain businesses that would be a breach of corporate protocols and get you marched off site PDQ.
      Good job I'm 100% WFH then.

Though I understand it's not actually be a laughing matter.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Sorry didn't have time to read the whole thread. You can image the SSD back to the HDD to a partition of the same size. That resize the partition on the HDD back to full size.

P.S. I've also modded a client laptop

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          Sorry didn't have time to read the whole thread. You can image the SSD back to the HDD to a partition of the same size. That resize the partition on the HDD back to full size.

P.S. I've also modded a client laptop
          I've installed VMware Transporter Agent or whatever it was called on some, P2V'd onto my iMac (for WHF) and MBP (for on call near site), removed Transporter, hardly used laptop.

BYOD here tho - no worries!

Comment

Originally posted by Intel View Post
            I wonder at what point does client kit become BYOD when you upgrade it constantly....
            It's the Ship of Theseus all over again: Captain Metaphysics and the Ship of Theseus - Existential Comics

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Bravo!! Only you could dig out "Captain Metaphysics and the Ship of Theseus" rather than "Trigger's Broom"

Comment

jsut be honest and tell them you upgraded the hard drive - give them both and ask for your SSD back after they've taken a copy of everything and wiped it.

Comment

Not decided yet. No immediate rush. One moment I'm tempted to copy the SSD partition back to the HDD and at other times tempted to leave as is and hand the HDD back with all the other kit.

Probably depends how bored I get as to whether I fancy messing around with getting the HDD back up to date nearer the time.

Those seem to be the two options so may just end up tossing a coin.

Comment

Why don't you hand it all back and invoice them for the new SSD and time to install.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                      Why don't you hand it all back and invoice them for the new SSD and time to install.
                      I just came to see your avatar again. Makes me laugh every time.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X