• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client laptop dilemma - roll back hard drive upgrade?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Incidentally, BYOD does not mean you can plug in any old POS to their network. They may not tell you, about it but they will be monitoring your usage and your device, the handling software is a lot smarter than you may think and their bits will be isolated from your bits (if you see what I mean).

Unless your client is totally stupid and/or naïve of course. I wouldn't bet the farm on that though.

Never got that far with BYOD as last I heard they were still trialling it with a limited number of devices. I imagined it to be like using their wifi (which is also logged/monitored so dodgy to be using it for updating this thread for example, which I'm not ) but they open doors onto their network that normal wifi users will be firewalled from, as the BOYD will have been approved for deeper access on an individual item basis.

I just see it as a way for them to save on not having to buy all the kit but then opening themselves to the hassle of supporting the user on unsupported kit. Hence why they're limiting the types of devices I expect. Otherwise they'd get people rocking up with an old XP netbook complaining the corporate web apps don't work in IE6.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      Never got that far with BYOD as last I heard they were still trialling it with a limited number of devices. I imagined it to be like using their wifi (which is also logged/monitored so dodgy to be using it for updating this thread for example, which I'm not ) but they open doors onto their network that normal wifi users will be firewalled from, as the BOYD will have been approved for deeper access on an individual item basis.

I just see it as a way for them to save on not having to buy all the kit but then opening themselves to the hassle of supporting the user on unsupported kit. Hence why they're limiting the types of devices I expect. Otherwise they'd get people rocking up with an old XP netbook complaining the corporate web apps don't work in IE6.
      BYOD - or any sensible version of it - puts a secure client on your device so their work stays isolated from yours. It's a bit like Citrix in many ways; it looks like you're on your own hardware, but all the bits that matter stay inside the client domain. It's a lot more than a hole in the network.

And it doesn't justify hacking their kit apart because you don't like it.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

BYOD - or any sensible version of it - puts a secure client on your device so their work stays isolated from yours. It's a bit like Citrix in many ways; it looks like you're on your own hardware, but all the bits that matter stay inside the client domain. It's a lot more than a hole in the network.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

It's called upgrading, which if I'm not mistaken is even allowed without forfeiting the warranty, where the customer is not penalised for adding their own ram or replacing hard drives. They make it easy to do via those flaps, which I know will be a hard concept for any Apple loyalists out there.

Client should be grateful I did this on my own initiative, part of how I manage to be so much more productive than the permies putting up with the slow standard issue laptops. Besides, such a maverick approach should hardly be a surprise, it's in a contractor's DNA.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

It's a laptop, you upgraded it, it's not the end of the world. Just give it back with the original hard drive and be honest. Well done for using your initiative and plead ignorance if questioned.

I've noticed since the Brexit a lot of the more depressing gloom-mongers around here have got worse.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
              It's a laptop, you upgraded it, it's not the end of the world. Just give it back with the original hard drive and be honest. Well done for using your initiative and plead ignorance if questioned.

I've noticed since the Brexit a lot of the more depressing gloom-mongers around here have got worse.
              Agreed, a lot of clients wouldn't care......however others definitely would.

Its not clear cut.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

Its not clear cut.

Indeed. This could have all the drama of a cowboy walking into a saloon and not knowing if the guy at the bar will offer him a drink or shoot him.

The solution is to offer to buy the guy at the bar a drink first. So I'll soften the client up by going for farewell drinks and getting them so pissed I'll have my own evidence to blackmail them if they dare pull the gun later.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

Its not clear cut.

Nope, not clear cut at all.
                  Most clients like to know the hardware they have and where it came from. Someone buying a second hand disk on eBay and putting it into their machine might not be seen as a good idea. The OP might not have put a second hand disk in, but the fact that they made changes to the machine means the client no longer had control over their equipment.
                  In certain businesses that would be a breach of corporate protocols and get you marched off site PDQ.

A few years ago the hard drive in my clientco laptop started to fail. I wasn't going to be near the IT dept for a month so they got a new drive in, imaged it to their standard and posted it out to me. It was about 100GB bigger and quite a bit faster than the old one. They never asked for the old one back.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

There are plenty of disk cloning tools around. Why not just use something like CloneZilla to clone the SSD back onto the old HDD? That way you keep your SSD and they get everything back as if you'd never done the upgrade.
                    England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
                      There are plenty of disk cloning tools around. Why not just use something like CloneZilla to clone the SSD back onto the old HDD? That way you keep your SSD and they get everything back as if you'd never done the upgrade.

Ture, or Macrium Reflect...
                      Macrium Reflect Free
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X