• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sir Kier Starmer - Odds on not completing a full term?"

Collapse

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Starmer is a long way from popular. A few more "changes of mind", political errors or blatant tax grabs and he would quickly lose popular support. If that happens there are plenty of candidates out there to replace him. His only saving grace at the moment is he is in the centre, and most putative replacements are anything but.
    His popularity with the public might very well go down but the Labour Party do tend to stick with leaders.

Leave a comment:

• woody1
    replied
    I was out walking the dog a couple of years ago and someone had tossed a full packet of benzodiazepines out of a car window.

I've hung on to them ever since as an insurance policy.
    Last edited by woody1; 13 July 2024, 08:13.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    From past observation I hope I die before I end up in one of those places.

Being 90 doesn't look like much fun to me.
    You should find what you need in the third drawer down of the anteroom desk...

"It's worth remembering that the Mess Webley will be of .455 calibre so do remember that if the Mess has recently been re-carpeted or painted, you might consider putting down some newspaper before doing the decent thing, otherwise you will leave your former fellow Mess members with the deuce of a bill which will probably dampen enthusiasm at your wake - alternatively take a bottle of whisky with you into the woods..."

Leave a comment:

• woody1
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    The forum is fecked. But I think we all know that already.
    Yep, it needs putting in a care home.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied

The forum is fecked. But I think we all know that already.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) at a glance - SCIE

They have a high bar, quite rightly or very quickly care homes would be become de facto prisons with some staff making it easy for themselves.
    Yes, but duty of care rules also apply. If a person could be at risk going out by themselves, then some form of restraint is needed. My MiL's home had one controlled entrance in the wing where the dementia patients lived (plus, obviously, alarmed fire exits), the other wing was open beyond the usual levels of checks on visitors. Even then the grounds were big enough that someone leaving the building still had a way to go to get to the one main gate, which was also closely controlled.

Obviously that doesn't work in the middle of a town, but the same principles should apply. We turned down a couple of care homes that didn't show adequate security for the residents.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    My Grandfather was in a home for years, sadly they used to have him go walkabout and hitch hike 'home' to the place he lived with my Grandmother a decade ago before cancer took her.

So if you are paying them 1.5 times the cost of a prison why don't they make sure those in a state don't wander off?
    Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) at a glance - SCIE

They have a high bar, quite rightly or very quickly care homes would be become de facto prisons with some staff making it easy for themselves.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Well, if someone else shared a room with them, that might help. You could also make sure they are unable to climb out the windows, and maybe lock the doors at night. That would reduce the risk of them wandering off.
    We could set up buildings for them, maybe call them Homes for Many Pensioners.

...I could be on to something here.
    odd that prisons are half price

Maybe His Majesties Pensioners?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    So if you are paying them 1.5 times the cost of a prison why don't they make sure those in a state don't wander off?
    Well, if someone else shared a room with them, that might help. You could also make sure they are unable to climb out the windows, and maybe lock the doors at night. That would reduce the risk of them wandering off.
    We could set up buildings for them, maybe call them Homes for Many Pensioners.

...I could be on to something here.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    My Grandfather was in a home for years, sadly they used to have him go walkabout and hitch hike 'home' to the place he lived with my Grandmother a decade ago before cancer took her.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    To answer the original question, there is an intake of new Labour MPs who were carefully vetted and owe their seats to him. I doubt they will rock the vote for a considerable amount of time.

Famous last words but he does seem fairly whiter than white so a scandal seems unlikely so I would have thought the only way he won't see out a full term is if he stands down ahead of the next GE to give someone else a go.
    Starmer is a long way from popular. A few more "changes of mind", political errors or blatant tax grabs and he would quickly lose popular support. If that happens there are plenty of candidates out there to replace him. His only saving grace at the moment is he is in the centre, and most putative replacements are anything but.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    To answer the original question, there is an intake of new Labour MPs who were carefully vetted and owe their seats to him. I doubt they will rock the vote for a considerable amount of time.

Famous last words but he does seem fairly whiter than white so a scandal seems unlikely so I would have thought the only way he won't see out a full term is if he stands down ahead of the next GE to give someone else a go.

Leave a comment:

• woody1
    replied
    Our neighbour is delaying putting his wife in for as long as he can, partly due to the cost. It's a terrible situation though, and very stressful on him and his son who lives at home. She's become a bit of a danger to herself (wandering off in the middle of the night etc) and a danger to the family (think of all the potential fire risks and other hazards in the home). Not good.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by woody1 View Post

Not full board though, nor 24x7 personal care.

People usually end up in a care home because they can no longer look after themselves (eg. dementia). A studio flat would be no different to them staying at home, and definitely no substitute for a place in a care home.
    The pros of a good care home for a relative with dementia far outweigh the cons. You won't know that until you experience it (twice, in my case).

My MiL had to go into care. We used a private one for three years at which point the house had been sold and she was down to the pitifully small amount of personal savings. The council then stepped in and took over the payments. No change in care or accommodation. Perhaps we were lucky...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X