• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sir Kier Starmer - Odds on not completing a full term?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To answer the original question, there is an intake of new Labour MPs who were carefully vetted and owe their seats to him. I doubt they will rock the vote for a considerable amount of time.

Famous last words but he does seem fairly whiter than white so a scandal seems unlikely so I would have thought the only way he won't see out a full term is if he stands down ahead of the next GE to give someone else a go.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      To answer the original question, there is an intake of new Labour MPs who were carefully vetted and owe their seats to him. I doubt they will rock the vote for a considerable amount of time.

Famous last words but he does seem fairly whiter than white so a scandal seems unlikely so I would have thought the only way he won't see out a full term is if he stands down ahead of the next GE to give someone else a go.
      Starmer is a long way from popular. A few more "changes of mind", political errors or blatant tax grabs and he would quickly lose popular support. If that happens there are plenty of candidates out there to replace him. His only saving grace at the moment is he is in the centre, and most putative replacements are anything but.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

My Grandfather was in a home for years, sadly they used to have him go walkabout and hitch hike 'home' to the place he lived with my Grandmother a decade ago before cancer took her.

So if you are paying them 1.5 times the cost of a prison why don't they make sure those in a state don't wander off?

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          So if you are paying them 1.5 times the cost of a prison why don't they make sure those in a state don't wander off?
          Well, if someone else shared a room with them, that might help. You could also make sure they are unable to climb out the windows, and maybe lock the doors at night. That would reduce the risk of them wandering off.
          We could set up buildings for them, maybe call them Homes for Many Pensioners.

...I could be on to something here.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Well, if someone else shared a room with them, that might help. You could also make sure they are unable to climb out the windows, and maybe lock the doors at night. That would reduce the risk of them wandering off.
            We could set up buildings for them, maybe call them Homes for Many Pensioners.

...I could be on to something here.
            odd that prisons are half price

Maybe His Majesties Pensioners?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              My Grandfather was in a home for years, sadly they used to have him go walkabout and hitch hike 'home' to the place he lived with my Grandmother a decade ago before cancer took her.

Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) at a glance - SCIE

They have a high bar, quite rightly or very quickly care homes would be become de facto prisons with some staff making it easy for themselves.
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) at a glance - SCIE

They have a high bar, quite rightly or very quickly care homes would be become de facto prisons with some staff making it easy for themselves.
                Yes, but duty of care rules also apply. If a person could be at risk going out by themselves, then some form of restraint is needed. My MiL's home had one controlled entrance in the wing where the dementia patients lived (plus, obviously, alarmed fire exits), the other wing was open beyond the usual levels of checks on visitors. Even then the grounds were big enough that someone leaving the building still had a way to go to get to the one main gate, which was also closely controlled.

Obviously that doesn't work in the middle of a town, but the same principles should apply. We turned down a couple of care homes that didn't show adequate security for the residents.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

From past observation I hope I die before I end up in one of those places.

Being 90 doesn't look like much fun to me.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

From past observation I hope I die before I end up in one of those places.

Being 90 doesn't look like much fun to me.

The forum is fecked. But I think we all know that already.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                      The forum is fecked. But I think we all know that already.
                      Yep, it needs putting in a care home.

Comment

Working...
                      X