• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Bye Wilko

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bye Wilko"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
    in local Wilko about 24 hours ago. Big sign saying discounts and up to 70% off. Actually nothing was 70% off. Not even 1% off!
    Badly run and being even worse run by the administrators!
    No hope.
    IMHO only
    I remember when Woolies when bust it had similar discounts.

It was still cheaper to buy the stuff from Sainsburys...

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    in local Wilko about 24 hours ago. Big sign saying discounts and up to 70% off. Actually nothing was 70% off. Not even 1% off!
    Badly run and being even worse run by the administrators!
    No hope.
    IMHO only

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I bet they have better stock levels though.

Yeah B&M was rammed with stock. Reminded me of Wilko before Covid....

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I found and went to my "local" B&M last weekend.

I may go and visit my "local" Home Bargains soon.

Neither are walking distance like Wilko.
    I bet they have better stock levels though.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    And in administration.
    I found and went to my "local" B&M last weekend.

I may go and visit my "local" Home Bargains soon.

Neither are walking distance like Wilko.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I went for an interview for a contract at Wilko's HQ near Worksop about ten years ago. Very nice place, very nice people, interesting project. Didn't hear anything back until, IIRC, nearly three months later, when the agent told me they were really keen to hire me! I pointed out that ten weeks is a long time in contracting, and I was now with a client in Cambridge for at least the next six months

Shame, though - I would have enjoyed a few months up there

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    And in administration.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Code:
    Just stop w4nking and save using spectacles
    Yeh, but if you stop w4nking you'll end up paying more for "extras" at a massage parlour.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    With sign up discounts (and also 'loyalty discounts'), once you have you script then it's very cheap to buy glasses.

e.g. I recently got varifocal, full rimless (metal), scratch coat for £39, delivered. From Googles4U. My script sunglasses were the same plus 40% grey shade and Polaroid for £69.

I had an '80%' loyalty discount code.
    Just stop w4nking and save using spectacles

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    With sign up discounts (and also 'loyalty discounts'), once you have you script then it's very cheap to buy glasses.

e.g. I recently got varifocal, full rimless (metal), scratch coat for £39, delivered. From Googles4U. My script sunglasses were the same plus 40% grey shade and Polaroid for £69.

I had an '80%' loyalty discount code.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

Because the ones that cost £100s are prescription and branded glasses? It's like asking why does a Ferrari cost more than a Dacia.
    You can get prescription glasses that don't cost £100s.

In fact several optical chains have decreased the price of their glasses and contact lenses over the years as they are competing with the internet.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Cheap glasses but no, even this mean old sod wouldn't buy cheap sunglasses. Seem to recall reading that any can lose quality over time too.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 6 August 2023, 08:17.

Leave a comment:

• JustKeepSwimming
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

I can understand the cost of opticians doing tests, but that does not explain the entire costs. If you get some prescription glasses and then order a spare pair it still costs a lot. And non prescription glasses in Boots etc are often in the hundreds.

Found on last shop that anti-allergen tablets at Sainsburies are half the cost of brand I've brought before. Same dosage, same formula.
    Non prescription sunglasses start at £2.50 at boots according to their website...

It's old, but this is why I would never buy pound shop sunglasses.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ce-shades.html

I'm not sure what you point is on the tablets. Non branded is typically going to be cheaper than branded.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Because the ones that cost £100s are prescription and branded glasses?
    I can understand the cost of opticians doing tests, but that does not explain the entire costs. If you get some prescription glasses and then order a spare pair it still costs a lot. And non prescription glasses in Boots etc are often in the hundreds.

Found on last shop that anti-allergen tablets at Sainsburies are half the cost of brand I've brought before. Same dosage, same formula.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 5 August 2023, 13:50.

Leave a comment:

• JustKeepSwimming
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Being a mean old sod I like cheap places. Went to Poundstretcher the other day for some walking glasses, having lost yet another pair on me walk the day before, and they were 90p. Couldn't believe it. How come glasses in Boots etc. costs hundreds?
    Because the ones that cost £100s are prescription and branded glasses? It's like asking why does a Ferrari cost more than a Dacia.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X