• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bye Wilko

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bye Wilko

Wilko is about to collapse.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/wilko-brink-collapse/

Thousands of jobs are at risk as high street retailer Wilko is on the brink of collapse.

There are 400 stores in the UK that face being closed down after Wilko indicated it was at risk of insolvency proceedings.
    The chain has spent several weeks searching for a rescue deal but has now given notice of intention to appoint administrators.

Wilko employs around 12,000 people across the country. It was founded in 1930.

Mark Jackson, Wilko's chief executive, said: "While we can confirm we've had a significant level of interest, including indicative offers that we believe would meet all our financial criteria to recapitalise the business, at present, we don't today have an offer that provides the necessary liquidity in the time we have available, given the mounting cash pressures we're faced with.

"Unfortunately, with this in mind, today we're having to take the difficult decision to file an NOI."
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

It's not a surprise, the shelves have been empty for months. Local store is about 25% free, looks so bad. The answer was to remove the empty shelves.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
      It's not a surprise, the shelves have been empty for months. Local store is about 25% free, looks so bad. The answer was to remove the empty shelves.
      Yeah I have been in different branches - and that's one problem in certain parts of London - and noticed the same.

Also I wanted some gardening stuff. They sold out and it took over 2 months for more to be in stock in store. That stock arrived in July. Most people who want such items would have wanted them at the latest at the end of June.

Comment

sadly terrible product selection and prices, though HMRC may be able to hire some of the counter staff as some would suit HMRC's customer service skills. Iceland staff are nicer.

Unfortunate for all the workers.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          sadly terrible product selection and prices, though HMRC may be able to hire some of the counter staff as some would suit HMRC's customer service skills. Iceland staff are nicer.

Unfortunate for all the workers.
          If Wilko goes, it's business will go online an there will be more empty premises added to the plethora of already empty shops
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

If Wilko goes, it's business will go online an there will be more empty premises added to the plethora of already empty shops
            That's assuming the Wilko customer demographic is happy shopping online, and I'm not certain it is.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I'll have to pop in & see if the bird food is in stock.

The buckets containing the fat balls are very useful.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

whose next? I'm Thinking Robert Dyas.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I always liked Wilko but agree that the stock levels, both in store and online, have been rubbish for a long time.

Agree the staff were often curt, maybe they were an awful company to work for?

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  whose next? I'm Thinking Robert Dyas.
                  Isn't Robert Dyas owned by one of the Dragons?

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post

That's assuming the Wilko customer demographic is happy shopping online, and I'm not certain it is.
                    The entire point of Wilko is that you in there for one item you need now and come out with loads of other items you think you need.

Comment

Working...
                    X