• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bye Wilko

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Being a mean old sod I like cheap places. Went to Poundstretcher the other day for some walking glasses, having lost yet another pair on me walk the day before, and they were 90p. Couldn't believe it. How come glasses in Boots etc. costs hundreds?
    Because the ones that cost £100s are prescription and branded glasses? It's like asking why does a Ferrari cost more than a Dacia.

Comment

Because the ones that cost £100s are prescription and branded glasses?
      I can understand the cost of opticians doing tests, but that does not explain the entire costs. If you get some prescription glasses and then order a spare pair it still costs a lot. And non prescription glasses in Boots etc are often in the hundreds.

Found on last shop that anti-allergen tablets at Sainsburies are half the cost of brand I've brought before. Same dosage, same formula.
      Last edited by xoggoth; 5 August 2023, 13:50.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

I can understand the cost of opticians doing tests, but that does not explain the entire costs. If you get some prescription glasses and then order a spare pair it still costs a lot. And non prescription glasses in Boots etc are often in the hundreds.

Found on last shop that anti-allergen tablets at Sainsburies are half the cost of brand I've brought before. Same dosage, same formula.
        Non prescription sunglasses start at £2.50 at boots according to their website...

It's old, but this is why I would never buy pound shop sunglasses.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ce-shades.html

I'm not sure what you point is on the tablets. Non branded is typically going to be cheaper than branded.

Comment

Cheap glasses but no, even this mean old sod wouldn't buy cheap sunglasses. Seem to recall reading that any can lose quality over time too.
          Last edited by xoggoth; 6 August 2023, 08:17.
          bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

Because the ones that cost £100s are prescription and branded glasses? It's like asking why does a Ferrari cost more than a Dacia.
            You can get prescription glasses that don't cost £100s.

In fact several optical chains have decreased the price of their glasses and contact lenses over the years as they are competing with the internet.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

With sign up discounts (and also 'loyalty discounts'), once you have you script then it's very cheap to buy glasses.

e.g. I recently got varifocal, full rimless (metal), scratch coat for £39, delivered. From Googles4U. My script sunglasses were the same plus 40% grey shade and Polaroid for £69.

I had an '80%' loyalty discount code.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                With sign up discounts (and also 'loyalty discounts'), once you have you script then it's very cheap to buy glasses.

e.g. I recently got varifocal, full rimless (metal), scratch coat for £39, delivered. From Googles4U. My script sunglasses were the same plus 40% grey shade and Polaroid for £69.

I had an '80%' loyalty discount code.
                Just stop w4nking and save using spectacles
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Code:
                  Just stop w4nking and save using spectacles
                  Yeh, but if you stop w4nking you'll end up paying more for "extras" at a massage parlour.
                  bloggoth

Comment

And in administration.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I went for an interview for a contract at Wilko's HQ near Worksop about ten years ago. Very nice place, very nice people, interesting project. Didn't hear anything back until, IIRC, nearly three months later, when the agent told me they were really keen to hire me! I pointed out that ten weeks is a long time in contracting, and I was now with a client in Cambridge for at least the next six months

Shame, though - I would have enjoyed a few months up there

Comment

Working...
                      X