• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on ""The modern workplace is a hive of inactivity and low productivity""

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
    I'm working for quite a small Co at the moment (~£100M) and the team was doing great until they hired a scrum master. Now we are in pointless meetings all-day and the scrum master is dictating technology choices (despite being woefully out of his depth in the field). This is where your productivity is going.
    Our little team at client co has just been assigned a new ADC - the previous one was quite hands off, was a very good enabler and quickly cut back all the 'ceremonies' to a daily stand up and a fortnightly planning meeting. The new ADC has put in retrospectives, refinement and planning sessions on top of the daily stand ups and is making many 'scrum master' sounding noises. They're also challenging the scope of the team's work and saying building reports for something that's not live should take higher priority than building reports for something that went live before Christmas and which paying customers are complaining about.

So glad I'm just a contractor, the product manager is going to start tearing their hair out

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    I'm working for quite a small Co at the moment (~£100M) and the team was doing great until they hired a scrum master. Now we are in pointless meetings all-day and the scrum master is dictating technology choices (despite being woefully out of his depth in the field). This is where your productivity is going.
    My current US based scrum master cannot run meetings to time.

Bad enough for me when I want to **** off out of Canary Wharf at 5pm on my days in the office. Awful for my Indian colleagues who probably want to spark a can and watch a bit of TV before bedtime.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Ah, Scrum Masters. . The pinnacle of peak creativity over productivity if ever there was one!

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    ... they hired... ...woefully out of his depth in the field...
    Anyone else wondering if it's sasguru?

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I don't know some large companies are amazing with their levels of laziness and empire building. They make the public sector look like amateurs.
    Totally agree.

Having worked with many private sector companies from medium sized up to FTSE100 as well as several public sector and not for profit organisations, I can safely say that many people in the private sector would make any public sector staff blush at how little productive work they actually do. And get paid more too.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I don't know some large companies are amazing with their levels of laziness and empire building. They make the public sector look like amateurs.
    They probably learned all they could from the public sector and expanded on it

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    Yep, I can confirm that as well, especially the fact that the bigger the organisation and the worst this is.

In my career I only ever had 2 jobs/roles where I actually had to work full gas all the time and I did all I could to find a more chilled role pronto.

I can also add, and it won't be a surprise, that working in public sector will expose you to unseen and unbelievable levels of laziness.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

It is something i noticed decades ago at big firms, over resourcing of projects.

Development teams of say 12 when only 4 or 5 are needed.

Probably middle managers empire building and looking important. And it looks good on the CV the bigger the team you had..
    +1. British companies have this down to a fine art.

Leave a comment:

• Keanu2020
    replied
    My last perm role was at a FTSE 5 - roughly 30% on HR task like 360's, 50% office politics to try and position for promotion, 15% Team away days and leave, and maybe 5% on actually doing the job.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Yep, I can confirm that as well, especially the fact that the bigger the organisation and the worst this is.

In my career I only ever had 2 jobs/roles where I actually had to work full gas all the time and I did all I could to find a more chilled role pronto.

I can also add, and it won't be a surprise, that working in public sector will expose you to unseen and unbelievable levels of laziness.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Why do people post links to stories behind pay walls? But no summary of the story?
    FWIW, the Torygraph paywall is nominal. Turn off javascript on your browser for that individual website and you'll get the substance, minus some pictures.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    So according to the chart we are 20% more productive than Japan, 5% more than Canada.

5% less than Germany.

The US however is 30% more efficient than Germany.

Seems odd that Japan the land of Kaizen and salarymen is so poor against us Brits and our cousins.

France is 15% more productive than us or the G7 despite years of strikes.

One sort of wonders if the measurement methodology is a bit off?
    and - enter CUK's finest proponent of doing feck all except post pish on every 'working' day he has.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    In a widely circulated essay by a former software developer,
    Emmanuel Maggiori, the author confessed: “I’ve been employed in tech for years, but I’ve
    almost never worked.”
    It is something i noticed decades ago at big firms, over resourcing of projects.

Development teams of say 12 when only 4 or 5 are needed.

Probably middle managers empire building and looking important. And it looks good on the CV the bigger the team you had..
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 10 April 2023, 14:35.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    So according to the chart we are 20% more productive than Japan, 5% more than Canada.

5% less than Germany.

The US however is 30% more efficient than Germany.

Seems odd that Japan the land of Kaizen and salarymen is so poor against us Brits and our cousins.

France is 15% more productive than us or the G7 despite years of strikes.

One sort of wonders if the measurement methodology is a bit off?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X