• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractor wisdom that you live by <one liners only>"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

Indeed, however I am v lucky this is 99.99% remote with only the odd trip to client office in Norn Iron.

The company ethos is also to pay the little guy before the big companies.

Which was nice.

qh
    I only go into the office for "training sessions". Aka This was also true before covid.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Which reminds me... Check and double check your clients expectations re working locations. What might be 100% remote now could switch to hybrid at any point in the near future. 100% remote is becoming a luxury rather than a standard as we slowly return to the new normal.
    Indeed, however I am v lucky this is 99.99% remote with only the odd trip to client office in Norn Iron.

The company ethos is also to pay the little guy before the big companies.

Which was nice.

qh

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by lecyclist View Post
    No one ever lies on their deathbed wishing they had worked more overtime
    Not on your deathbed, but you might spend the last 20 years of your life wishing you did if you don't have enough assets for retirement.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Be careful who you talk to, you never know if HMRC are listening

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    A contractor is just someone who can use google/stackoverflow/ChatGPT better than the person paying them

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I asked ChatGPT.

As an IT contractor, I don't have a boss, I have clients who pay me to tell them what to do.
    ...and then ignore it

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Alot of that is academic if you are 100% remote, Mr Smarty-pants.

qh
    Which reminds me... Check and double check your clients expectations re working locations. What might be 100% remote now could switch to hybrid at any point in the near future. 100% remote is becoming a luxury rather than a standard as we slowly return to the new normal.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

qh
    Dammit

Leave a comment:

• lecyclist
    replied
    Revenue retention is more important than the headline contract rate - don't neglect your financial education as it impacts the rest of your life

Leave a comment:

• lecyclist
    replied
    No one ever lies on their deathbed wishing they had worked more overtime

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied

Yeah but if you don't get in with Reception, Security and the coffee staff you won't be able to find Finance, get in to their section or bring them lots of free coffee will you? All about priorities when buttering up the clients key staff.

qh

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Never get your new car delivered to client's site...
    Thats fine as long as your new car isn't worth a lot more than the cars of the people on site who will have power over your renewal

Also Tesla's are more in fashion these days, they are less ostentatious and more common than Porsches. Although the Tesla Roadster (if it ever comes out) might change that..
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 23 March 2023, 08:14.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    Never drive your Porsche to the client's site
    Never get your new car delivered to client's site...

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    If you work on site make sure you get to know the most important people, these being the reception people, security and canteen staff.
    And cleaners.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

If you are working direct the most important people are finance/payroll; be nice to them.

qh
    The security team knows who they are screwing so that may be an advantage.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X