• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How wonderfully British"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Good on her but couldn't help noticing she appears to be awfully brown all over with next to no tan lines. Doesn't look the type that will be on the sunbed everyday. My money is on naturist so she's having the last laugh as she actually covered up for this protest.
    Still quite a bold protest.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

He's a total hypocrite with an attitude like that.

Like I said to him, live in someone's shoes for a few days then have a view. Until then, he needs to wind his neck in as he has no idea how complex the world is already for those in wheelchairs.
    chill I was taking the mick out of him.

Many years ago I heard this saying "Religious people who spend all week breaking the teachings of God and spend Sunday morning being absolved - I prefer people who are just good all the time!"

It made sense to me, so many rich people trying to fit through the eye of a needle and they are smaller than camels.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Good on her but couldn't help noticing she appears to be awfully brown all over with next to no tan lines. Doesn't look the type that will be on the sunbed everyday. My money is on naturist so she's having the last laugh as she actually covered up for this protest.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

he is practising!
    He's a total hypocrite with an attitude like that.

Like I said to him, live in someone's shoes for a few days then have a view. Until then, he needs to wind his neck in as he has no idea how complex the world is already for those in wheelchairs.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

This response proves your lack of empathy. For a practising christian that is pretty sad.
    he is practising!

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Isn't the point that the hedge has overgrown a path or verge originally wide enough to push a wheelchair along safely? Therefore a little bit of logic tells you there is room to cut the hedge without going into the road. Perhaps Safety Sally types like yourself would need the road coned off. I cut the verge next to my house as well as the weeds which restrict visibility, the idea I'd call the council out is laughable.

I'll give your suggestion the due amount of thought. Bit ironic that you're pushing your nose in to tell me to pull mine out though.
    This response proves your lack of empathy. For a practising christian that is pretty sad.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Isn't the point that the hedge has overgrown a path or verge originally wide enough to push a wheelchair along safely? Therefore a little bit of logic tells you there is room to cut the hedge without going into the road. Perhaps Safety Sally types like yourself would need the road coned off. I cut the verge next to my house as well as the weeds which restrict visibility, the idea I'd call the council out is laughable.

I'll give your suggestion the due amount of thought. Bit ironic that you're pushing your nose in to tell me to pull mine out though.
    If its YOUR hedge then you are required to get it trimmed. If it is not then you may be committing criminal damage.

The point it is the councils job to trim these hedges and after 2 years begging them to trim them as they are required to by law for safety, She has had no luck hence the protest.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

You're the one lacking common sense here ... do you not see in the pick how close the hedge is to the road and if she did it she'd be putting herself in danger. If the council do it, as they should, they would close off the verge side carriageway to keep the workers safe.

Until you've lived in someone else's shoes, and experienced how difficult it is to get around in a wheelchair or mobility scooter, I suggest you wind your neck in as you have no idea the daily challenges that the disabled face just to attempt to live a normal life.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Yep but they have younger opinion writers.
    Metro 'borrow' off Crayola & club penguin rather than Bored Panda & Whispr.sh?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Damn, I hate it when I have to agree with you .. but I do ....
    it gets easier!

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    We're missing the obvious question...

"Would MTT?"

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    In the real world, just nip out and do it, don't let the council jobsworths scare you from doing the right thing. Better yet get a few neighbours as a working party. Like clearing the snow from the doorsteps on your street. British people should favour common sense over some of the stupid rules.
    You're the one lacking common sense here ... do you not see in the pick how close the hedge is to the road and if she did it she'd be putting herself in danger. If the council do it, as they should, they would close off the verge side carriageway to keep the workers safe.

And this won't be an isolated area, as I often found out when taking my late wife out in her wheelchair. Councils have a duty of care to all it's residents, but especially the most vulnerable. Dangerous situations like this is why some people become housebound as they are too nervous, or just can't, get very far.

Until you've lived in someone else's shoes, and experienced how difficult it is to get around in a wheelchair or mobility scooter, I suggest you wind your neck in as you have no idea the daily challenges that the disabled face just to attempt to live a normal life.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

Actually should she do so the Council may well prosecute her, because she is damaging someone else's land.

You are not allowed to go round doing things to other people's property. She has followed the rules and the council has ignored her, the issue is now on the front of the tabloids so she played a blinder!
    Damn, I hate it when I have to agree with you .. but I do ....

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Hah the Metro you know that is the Wail in a dress with false nails?
    And a boob job

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    We get that on our local village FB group, someone will post a photo of a dog turd on their front door step and a hundred will comment about how disgusting it is, but dare you ask if they cleared it up you'll get torn a new one. They'd rather walk through it for a week and demand "the owner clears this up before I call the police".
    If they clean it up the dog will continue to poo there. Which is why they leave it, threaten to report the irresponsible owner to the police and get the council to clean it up.

It's actually a council issue and when councils had more money some of them would take DNA samples from the poo, so when they caught the dog in action they could prosecute the owner.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X