• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How wonderfully British

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How wonderfully British

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...heelchair.html

'I've trimmed my bush, now trim YOURS': Mother forces council to take action by staging NAKED protest on A358 where 'dangerously overgrown' hedge has blocked her disabled daughter's wheelchair for two years
    • Jill White staged naked protest over 'dangerously overgrown' hedge on A358
    • The single mother claims it has blocked her disabled daughter's wheelchair
    • She wore placards which read: 'I've trimmed my bush, now Highways trim yours'
    • Council has now vowed to begin work to cut back the hedge in Somerset
    and of course a picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	60484027-11031211-image-m-41_1658312306218.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	4226820

For those who want to see a scantily clad protestor

Click image for larger version

Name:	60480573-11031211-image-m-3_1658309435668.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	4226821
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Of course it never entered her mind to trim it and make her and her daughter's life easier because "that's their job". We get that on our local village FB group, someone will post a photo of a dog turd on their front door step and a hundred will comment about how disgusting it is, but dare you ask if they cleared it up you'll get torn a new one. They'd rather walk through it for a week and demand "the owner clears this up before I call the police".
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Of course it never entered her mind to trim it and make her and her daughter's life easier because "that's their job". We get that on our local village FB group, someone will post a photo of a dog turd on their front door step and a hundred will comment about how disgusting it is, but dare you ask if they cleared it up you'll get torn a new one. They'd rather walk through it for a week and demand "the owner clears this up before I call the police".
      Actually should she do so the Council may well prosecute her, because she is damaging someone else's land.

You are not allowed to go round doing things to other people's property. She has followed the rules and the council has ignored her, the issue is now on the front of the tabloids so she played a blinder!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Actually should she do so the Council may well prosecute her, because she is damaging someone else's land.

You are not allowed to go round doing things to other people's property. She has followed the rules and the council has ignored her, the issue is now on the front of the tabloids so she played a blinder!
        In the real world, just nip out and do it, don't let the council jobsworths scare you from doing the right thing. Better yet get a few neighbours as a working party. Like clearing the snow from the doorsteps on your street. British people should favour common sense over some of the stupid rules.

Comment

My parents and their neighbour always mow the grass verges out the front of their properties. When my mum mentioned how it was terrible that the council don't mow them regularly enough, as we walked past an unmown section, I pointed out all the flowers that are good for pollinating insects and asked her to consider if perhaps, in addition to being a cost cutting measure, the council were also trying to let the grass grow as a gesture towards encouraging more insects.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            My parents and their neighbour always mow the grass verges out the front of their properties. When my mum mentioned how it was terrible that the council don't mow them regularly enough, as we walked past an unmown section, I pointed out all the flowers that are good for pollinating insects and asked her to consider if perhaps, in addition to being a cost cutting measure, the council were also trying to let the grass grow as a gesture towards encouraging more insects.
            They definitely do that on purpose round here, on verges that are not walked on. However they tend to seed them not let them just grow weeds... very nice to see a roundabout effectively a wildflower meadow. Saves on petrol use too mowing them.

Comment

Except there is a big difference between re-wilding - which is an excellent idea - and blocking pavements.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Except there is a big difference between re-wilding - which is an excellent idea - and blocking pavements.
                I completely agree. It's perfectly possible to cut back enough to allow access and leave the rest.

Having read this story on The Metro, there's no way that the council was rewilding in that case.

Comment

... the council were also trying to let the grass grow as a gesture towards encouraging more insects.
                  It's the policy in Basel.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I completely agree. It's perfectly possible to cut back enough to allow access and leave the rest.

Having read this story on The Metro, there's no way that the council was rewilding in that case.
                    Hah the Metro you know that is the Wail in a dress with false nails?

Comment

Working...
                    X