• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Electric car

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Electric car"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Its a new circuit so notifiable?
    If you do it as a new circuit
    But either way I can find no indication you must have a smart meter for an EV charger. However, if you want an EV-friendly tariff then your supplier might require an eco7 meter fitted and they may say "we only fit smart meters now".
    We managed to get an eco7 one fitted (for EPC reasons) and requested a 'dumb' one but this was a few years ago. People who fear their usage data being known may choose to look online how to stop their smart meter reporting, I suppose. Obviously we wouldn't endorse that.

Leave a comment:

• LoanCharged
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

I believe its only a new circuit if they have to fit a new consumer unit because your existing one doesn't have the spare RCD compatible slots.

Leave a comment:

• LoanCharged
    replied
    Originally posted by tazdevil View Post

The company has to buy it and then gets 100% CTAX relief on the purchase price in year 1 although CTAX is then due on a future sale. But as I may have a big profit this year its something to look into as a way of bringing the tax liability down Trouble is I don't want a smart meter (solar PV and so forth attached) and I'm sure installing a charging point will require one. Any one got both a smart meter and dumb meter for cross checking the figures? Or what about a separate supply for the charging point?
    No requirement of a smart meter was mentioned when I had mine fitted late last year. The fitting of the external charging point is much akin to fitting an outdoor socket but better left to the supply company as the electrician will give you a certificate of installation. If your consumer unit cant cope and they have to fit a new one then again , the electricians trade scheme will provide the Buildings Regulation Certificate of Compliance.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Why would having an EV charging point installed by a local electrician require your supplier to be involved fitting a new meter? Is this actually a requirement?
    One could surely fit a charger themselves if comfortable with home DIY electrics.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Why would having an EV charging point installed by a local electrician require your supplier to be involved fitting a new meter? Is this actually a requirement?
    One could surely fit a charger themselves if comfortable with home DIY electrics.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by tazdevil View Post

The company has to buy it and then gets 100% CTAX relief on the purchase price in year 1 although CTAX is then due on a future sale. But as I may have a big profit this year its something to look into as a way of bringing the tax liability down Trouble is I don't want a smart meter (solar PV and so forth attached) and I'm sure installing a charging point will require one. Any one got both a smart meter and dumb meter for cross checking the figures? Or what about a separate supply for the charging point?
    You can take readings off smart meters and submit them yourself, it's the same as going out to the unit and reading the dials.

Leave a comment:

• tazdevil
    replied
    Originally posted by LoanCharged View Post
    Yes, with the advice of my accountant ,although you could lease it too but I think you don't get the capital allowance. Expense the insurance and maintenance also e.g. tyres, charging point etc.

Leave a comment:

• LoanCharged
    replied
    Originally posted by richy_rich View Post
    Has anyone bought a brand new electric car through their Ltd Co.? 100% capital allowance apparently which makes it tempting? Kia will give you 7 yr warranty on batteries.
    Yes, with the advice of my accountant ,although you could lease it too but I think you don't get the capital allowance. Expense the insurance and maintenance also e.g. tyres, charging point etc.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Just got delivery of a brand new Audi Q4 etron... I also have 2 new wood burners in my house which means I'll be burning wood all winter and don't care about the price of gas either.
    So you thought you wanted to get an EV but offset the emission reductions?

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Just got delivery of a brand new Audi Q4 etron. What a car. I have a BMW 3 series estate as a backup diesel but that will barely get used now. It's like the diesel/petrol price crisis just went away over night. I calculated it and even with a very efficient BMW 320d, electric car costs 1/3 of the cost in terms of fuel/energy. It's a no brainer and I don't even care what the price of diesel and petrol is anymore. I also have 2 new wood burners in my house which means I'll be burning wood all winter and don't care about the price of gas either.

For the Q4, when you calculate the tax savings (road, corp, personal, vat minus the 1/2% BIK), fuel saving and running costs I was incurring for keeping my old car, i'm making a net saving by getting it brand new leased through business.

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    Originally posted by Baddish View Post
    I am considering the possibility of buying electric 2 wheeler as my business is sometimes taking me to Birmingham and the railway station is located 3 miles from my house.
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    Are you in the mountains or something?
    To be fair, it's not just about hills.

E.g. Gary Brennan ("the 39 stone cyclist") dropped from 39 stone to 13 stone. Here's a description of his first journey:
    About Gaz | Cycle Of Life - Fix You (wordpress.com)

I cycled the half-mile to my local train station. I was wheezing, my arms hurt holding up my weight, my legs hurt pushing my weight along. I was soaking in sweat, like someone who had just run over 30 miles – but I had done it! I had made it to the half-way point. I took in an energy gel, about 500ml of water and had a ten-minute sit-down. I was then ready to set off again and get home. Boy was it hard. By the time I was home I thought to myself “I can’t do this” – I couldn’t breath, I was coughing and wheezing, tired and sore but I had cycled one mile.
    That's an extreme example, but I know other people who've started/resumed cycling as an adult: they struggled with short distances initially, until they built up some strength. Also, even if someone could handle the journey, they might not want the hassle of getting changed and having a shower, vs hopping off the bike in their business suit.

That said, it might be worth considering whether you'd need the e-bike long term, or whether you'd want to swap to a "normal" bike after a few months. However, if you can comfortably afford to buy one now then go for it; you could always sell it off second-hand later.

There's a bit of gatekeeping that goes on, where some people look down on e-bikes as "cheating". However, I don't want to discourage anyone from cycling, and an e-bike is going to give you more exercise than a car.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

We have a thing called "The Internet", they've even got it on computers these days. You'll find most answers on there.
    That's a bit unnecessary. Lots of people don't rely totally on the internet for things and often talking to a person (except if they're in India and the location of interest is in Wales, of course) gets you more information than the banal standardised descriptions you might get on a website.

As an example, 'wheelchair accessible' is a phrase that is well open to interpretation. There is a huge variety in size and shape and functionality and what's accessible to the small, nimble style of chair used by people with good upper body strength can be completely inaccessible to someone with little or no movement who uses a large electric wheelchair. Being able to have a chat with someone at the station you're planning on passing through will tell you a heck of a lot more than the National Rail website about the true accessibility of that location.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Currently looking at buying one too as there are government and dealer grants here but only until the end of the year and it depends upon certain criteria such as base price of the car. Noticed that I'm doing less and less mileage each year but still want one that does 400-500km on a charge. Most of the decent ones that do this are the same price as the new BMW I was going to buy so no problems there, will not buy a hybrid as can't really see the point. Don't have a charging point but the landlord puts one in for free for people who have EVs in the underground carpark in your space (they also do this for e-bikes). There are also plenty of them around now and they're growing...

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Or... How about developing a charging method that doesn't require you to stop for an hour? A bit like aire-to-air refuelling? Could have trucks roaming the highways, ready to come to the aid of drivers low on battery power and connecting via some kind of umbilical cord to deliver a quick power boost.
    Like what we have on the motorway here:

Leave a comment:

• richy_rich
    replied
    Has anyone bought a brand new electric car through their Ltd Co.? 100% capital allowance apparently which makes it tempting? Kia will give you 7 yr warranty on batteries.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X