• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to greatly reduce page clicks on the CUK site"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

The button "go to last post" button doesn't take you to the last post in all cases. That sounds broken to me. You can't blame me for using the site wrong having ignored users... as a user the functionality is wrong, why it doesn't work is not the user's concern.
    I suggest you stop paying your membership fee and stop posting that will sort em!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I did have the "last unread post" thing working, but I need to check it again and also look at the "actual last post" thing (which is, as suggested above, almost certainly implemented in some way that's far more complicated than it need be, due to the whole system being like that)

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

The button "go to last post" button doesn't take you to the last post in all cases. That sounds broken to me. You can't blame me for using the site wrong having ignored users... as a user the functionality is wrong, why it doesn't work is not the user's concern.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

It isn't broken. The down arrows may be broken, idk. If you have some users on ignore, there may be issues with page counts, but the >> option is not fundamentally broken.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    So OwnHoot wants to reduce advertising pages views on here... nice knowing ya!

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    We've already got `>>` as mentioned above (except it's broken). And it's even more widely understood that clicking on a link takes you to the start of the page.
    It isn't broken. The down arrows may be broken, idk. If you have some users on ignore, there may be issues with page counts, but the >> option is not fundamentally broken.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    We've already got `>>` as mentioned above (except it's broken). And it's even more widely understood that clicking on a link takes you to the start of the page.
    I know, I read the thread. But the UX principles you mentioned should dictate that closely related buttons are close together.

Also, with a multi-page thread it's quite reasonable, in fact usually the case for a regular reader, to want to go to the start of the latest page.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    It's been reported months back. On the OP's suggestion that the default is to go to the end of the thread, that would seem to fly in the face of decades of UX from all main vendors?
    OK then have a pair of buttons side by side to the left of each thread title, like so: << >>

where the first goes to the start of the thread and the second to the end.

Double arrows are pretty standard and widely understood to mean "start" and "end". So that should take care of any UX issues.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Get Cojak some Vodka and help her warm up her ban hammer?

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Works OK if you close you browser session between logons.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It's been reported months back. On the OP's suggestion that the default is to go to the end of the thread, that would seem to fly in the face of decades of UX from all main vendors?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

It was working before the downgrade; it's not working now. It's broken

And its not (just) related to ignore lists - i've not got anyone on my ignore list (I'll read any old crap) and the feature does not work. If i don't access the boards for a few days, and come back, it seems to do better, but on an intra-day basis, it fails miserably.
    In which case report it as a bug so Nick may investigate and possibly fix it.

When this upgrade was done we really should have moved to something better rather than keeping with Vbulletin.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

Technically it's not broken but it does a dumb and complex calculation and after that takes you to the wrong place if there are posts from posters on your ignore list.

If you want a prime example of a badly designed system where a simply solution would work better it's that functionality.
    It was working before the downgrade; it's not working now. It's broken

And its not (just) related to ignore lists - i've not got anyone on my ignore list (I'll read any old crap) and the feature does not work. If i don't access the boards for a few days, and come back, it seems to do better, but on an intra-day basis, it fails miserably.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I use the >> by the last poster's name to get to the most recent post and then scroll back if necessary. On long threads, you still get a random page in the middle.

I never think to use the double down arrow by the title
    Same here. Perhaps it presents differently on some platforms, but it works fine for me across several platforms.

The random page thing is a known issue related to posters on ignore, I believe.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X