• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to greatly reduce page clicks on the CUK site

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to greatly reduce page clicks on the CUK site

When clicking on a thread title, the default shold be to go to the latest page not the first.

Discuss, or not as you see fit. (Perhaps this has been discussed already)
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Just click the >> to take you from the list of threads to the end of a specific thread.

Comment

The two down arrows to the left of the title is meant to take you to your first unread post, but its been broken since the software downgrade a year or so back.

Comment

I use the >> by the last poster's name to get to the most recent post and then scroll back if necessary. On long threads, you still get a random page in the middle.

I never think to use the double down arrow by the title
        Last edited by ladymuck; 15 February 2022, 08:52.

Comment

A quick guide
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_88.png
Views:	162
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	4204933
          The * is there because if you have people on ignore the calculation is wrong and it may take you to a different page (depending on how many ignored posts are contained within the thread).
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            The two down arrows to the left of the title is meant to take you to your first unread post, but its been broken since the software downgrade a year or so back.
            Technically it's not broken but it does a dumb and complex calculation and after that takes you to the wrong place if there are posts from posters on your ignore list.

If you want a prime example of a badly designed system where a simply solution would work better it's that functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I use the >> by the last poster's name to get to the most recent post and then scroll back if necessary. On long threads, you still get a random page in the middle.

I never think to use the double down arrow by the title
              Same here. Perhaps it presents differently on some platforms, but it works fine for me across several platforms.

The random page thing is a known issue related to posters on ignore, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Technically it's not broken but it does a dumb and complex calculation and after that takes you to the wrong place if there are posts from posters on your ignore list.

If you want a prime example of a badly designed system where a simply solution would work better it's that functionality.
                It was working before the downgrade; it's not working now. It's broken

And its not (just) related to ignore lists - i've not got anyone on my ignore list (I'll read any old crap) and the feature does not work. If i don't access the boards for a few days, and come back, it seems to do better, but on an intra-day basis, it fails miserably.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

It was working before the downgrade; it's not working now. It's broken

And its not (just) related to ignore lists - i've not got anyone on my ignore list (I'll read any old crap) and the feature does not work. If i don't access the boards for a few days, and come back, it seems to do better, but on an intra-day basis, it fails miserably.
                  In which case report it as a bug so Nick may investigate and possibly fix it.

When this upgrade was done we really should have moved to something better rather than keeping with Vbulletin.

Comment

It's been reported months back. On the OP's suggestion that the default is to go to the end of the thread, that would seem to fly in the face of decades of UX from all main vendors?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X