• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The next Prime Minister will be ........"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    And it's declared as very fraudulent in states that support voter suppression.
    Claim people who are worried it will harm their performance.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    And it's declared as very fraudulent in states that support voter suppression.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

They do, but then we'd have to have a big hoo-haw about which demographics postal-only voting favours, whether you need to apply for a postal vote or get sent one, which all seems like it's a bit distracting in the middle of a societal emergency.
    Its popular with Labour in Banana republics

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/...ocalgovernment

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

No, but many people vote by post these days, so why would we be forced to go to a polling station, unless the post office has been sold off...
    They do, but then we'd have to have a big hoo-haw about which demographics postal-only voting favours, whether you need to apply for a postal vote or get sent one, which all seems like it's a bit distracting in the middle of a societal emergency.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Royal Mail you mean.
    Royal mail was sold off at the start of the reicht. The Post Office is still state owned.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

No, but many people vote by post these days, so why would we be forced to go to a polling station, unless the post office has been sold off...
    Royal Mail you mean.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

I didn't realise we were still in a lockdown. One might have quite easily deduced I was talking about the past, especially since that's when AtW's "manifesto promise breaking" happened.

Do you think we'll be in the middle of a Covid crisis for another 78 years though?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Do you propose the Tories should stay in power until the end of the century, or just keep them in power until they have nothing left to sell off?
    I didn't realise we were still in a lockdown. One might have quite easily deduced I was talking about the past, especially since that's when AtW's "manifesto promise breaking" happened.

Do you think we'll be in the middle of a Covid crisis for another 78 years though?

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Its not like Boris has failed in his primary tasks.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Yes that would be brilliant. Mid crisis we'll have government divert their attention to campaigning, and hold a general election which requires everyone to go visit a polling station during lockdown.

Ye gods.
    Do you propose the Tories should stay in power until the end of the century, or just keep them in power until they have nothing left to sell off?

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied

The general public may be quite dim, but even so I think there is a window where you can explain there has to be pain due to extraordinary spending and covid repercussions, and people will buy it. The idea you have to pay back what you spend is reasonable. I don't think it lasts long because public memory is short, but to a certain extent we saw a bit of this with austerity - a skilled politician can sell the "all pull together" idea if they haven't got a reputation for sleaze, and Rishi is perceived as pretty clean (so far).

I still don't think people with money trust Labour to fix public finances so it's the Tory's to lose with any half-human candidate.
    We'll see. I mean, it would be a hell of a swing needed to overturn the last result, but then again that was an odd election due to Brexit. All in it together doesn't wash when the government's pals are walking away with multi-million pound contracts of tax payers' money for dubious services rendered - whether Rishi can keep clear of that remains to be seen. We've now had 10 years of relative austerity and we might just be at the point where people are ready for a change. I know I am.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

Breaking manifesto promise(s) should be illegal (not guideline tulip) and any changes to it should require new General Election.
    Yes that would be brilliant. Mid crisis we'll have government divert their attention to campaigning, and hold a general election which requires everyone to go visit a polling station during lockdown.

Ye gods.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Oh yes, forgot the bit in the tory manifesto about dealing with an unexpected, hugely expensive and damaging medical emergency. Sorry...
    Breaking manifesto promise(s) should be illegal (not guideline tulip) and any changes to it should require new General Election.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by mattster View Post

Possibly, perhaps if it happens soon, but he is the chancellor and we are heading into what is very likely to be the worst year in decades for people's personal finances. Tax rises and raging inflation (they estimate 6-7% CPI, what's the betting we hit 10? and RPI will be way ahead of that) actually affect the average voter far more than any reports of GDP etc. I think things could get pretty ugly for the Tories (and the country) and I'm not sure they even have anyone left who could win them the next election.
    My guess, FWIW, is Truss - but only if she can get onto the final ballot.
    The general public may be quite dim, but even so I think there is a window where you can explain there has to be pain due to extraordinary spending and covid repercussions, and people will buy it. The idea you have to pay back what you spend is reasonable. I don't think it lasts long because public memory is short, but to a certain extent we saw a bit of this with austerity - a skilled politician can sell the "all pull together" idea if they haven't got a reputation for sleaze, and Rishi is perceived as pretty clean (so far).

I still don't think people with money trust Labour to fix public finances so it's the Tory's to lose with any half-human candidate.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by mattster View Post

Labour at least improve the NHS and other public services when they raise taxes. We will shortly have the highest tax take for 70 years, all while public spending has been decimated. Not really a vote winning combination.
    Spending on the NHS is more as a proportion of GDP than it has ever been. It's management of the NHS is the problem not the money, not to mention assorted problems introduced by Labour (as it happens) such as PFI and ever more intrusive (and largely meaningless) targets and reporting requirements.

And before you bring up the tired old "£350m a week for the NHS", they are getting £485m a week more now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X