• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Excellent news

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Excellent news"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Ok

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Wear tight lycra, then I'm happy to not pass at all.
    Ok

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I am sure I have less close passes if drivers - except ******* coach drivers - can easily work out I'm female
    Wear tight lycra, then I'm happy to not pass at all.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Some people only give a **** about themselves.

I think you need to start wearing a long blonde wig and/or a skirt.

I am sure I have less close passes if drivers - except ******* coach drivers - can easily work out I'm female.
    You mean I should cycle in my weekend party outfit?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Maybe. But then, maybe not.
    Some people only give a **** about themselves.

I think you need to start wearing a long blonde wig and/or a skirt.

I am sure I have less close passes if drivers - except ******* coach drivers - can easily work out I'm female.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

the cyclist can stop faster than any car driver if her brake lights worked then the cyclist needs witnesses to explain why they ran into a stationary object.

More vulnerable is not less culpable.
    Yes ... and no. If we make it that the larger vehicle has to prove that it was not their fault, then the larger vehicles will take more care .. from lorries down. As a cyclist I have lots of cars that drive like absolute idiots around me ... I've never ever had a car crash, so I think I'm pretty experienced on roads and I cycle in the same safe way as I drive. Some of these drivers need to get out there and ride a bike, and see how vulnerable you are against a 3 ton piece of metal, and then maybe drivers would be more cautious.

Maybe. But then, maybe not.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I know of someone who died cycling into the back of open van doors. They did have insurance but I don't know if the van owner followed it up....
    Chap I used to cycle with is now paraplegic after cycling into the back of a stationary van - he was on a time trial bike, so in full aero position and doing 25+mph ... just didn't realise the van was stationary and hit the back of it. Broke his spine, in IC for weeks. Now learning to ride with a hand cycle, but he'll never walk again. Tragic, but accidents happen.
    Last edited by Whorty; 31 December 2021, 18:40.

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    https://www.richmondandtwickenhamtim...-slowed-geese/

This made me laugh, however I feel sorry for the motorist, who will have to pay for the damage to her car, since the cyclist doesn't have 3rd party insurance.
    The news article doesn't mention anything about insurance. Do you have a source for that, or you just stating your opinion as fact?

There's no legal obligation for cyclists to have 3rd party insurance, but a lot of cyclists have it anyway. For instance, it comes bundled with membership of Cycling UK and the London Cycling Campaign:
    Insurance for cycling | Cycling UK
    Third Party Insurance | London Cycling Campaign (lcc.org.uk)
    It also gets included in some home insurance policies.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Sue the Lawyer View Post

You can still be sued if you have no insurance - a cyclist found this out when he went into a dumb walker.

However because cyclists are seen as more vulnerable, it is hard for car drivers to prove the cyclist was at fault.

So the car driver would need witnesses to show she stopped for wild life and wasn't just a crap driver.
    the cyclist can stop faster than any car driver if her brake lights worked then the cyclist needs witnesses to explain why they ran into a stationary object.

More vulnerable is not less culpable.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

So the cyclist was riding without due care and attention? If it were a car behind it would be clear who is at fault.

Well a civil suit supported by the insurance company should sort that out. Make the cyclist pay for their stupidity and the damage they caused.

Cyclists should be insured IMHO.
    You can still be sued if you have no insurance - a cyclist found this out when he went into a dumb walker.

However because cyclists are seen as more vulnerable, it is hard for car drivers to prove the cyclist was at fault.

So the car driver would need witnesses to show she stopped for wild life and wasn't just a crap driver.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

This made me laugh, however I feel sorry for the motorist, who will have to pay for the damage to her car, since the cyclist doesn't have 3rd party insurance. Cyclists are an absolute plague in Richmond Park, as they're all trying to be the fastest on some sort of cycling app. We used to moan about them ignoring traffic lights (which hasn't changed) but now all the roads are 20mph the cyclists are cheerfully ignoring the speed limits as well.
    So the cyclist was riding without due care and attention? If it were a car behind it would be clear who is at fault.

Well a civil suit supported by the insurance company should sort that out. Make the cyclist pay for their stupidity and the damage they caused.

Cyclists should be insured IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    So many cyclists on road is clearly irritating people, had to break several times in recent months due to people overtaking them. Couple of near accidents, one was doing it on a blind bend and another at a junction when I was about to turn left.
    The roads are for those who don't need a license to use them so motorcycle, car, van, lorry and bus drivers just have to put up with it.

And remember most people travel around by more than one means....

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Little something about cycling from the Swiss police. Doesn't need sound or German comprehension.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    So many cyclists on road is clearly irritating people, had to break several times in recent months due to people overtaking them. Couple of near accidents, one was doing it on a blind bend and another at a junction when I was about to turn left.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

This made me laugh, however I feel sorry for the motorist, who will have to pay for the damage to her car, since the cyclist doesn't have 3rd party insurance. Cyclists are an absolute plague in Richmond Park, as they're all trying to be the fastest on some sort of cycling app. We used to moan about them ignoring traffic lights (which hasn't changed) but now all the roads are 20mph the cyclists are cheerfully ignoring the speed limits as well.
    I know of someone who died cycling into the back of open van doors. They did have insurance but I don't know if the van owner followed it up....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X