• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Excellent news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent news

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...laid-bare.html

Spy in the sky: How ONE new high-tech camera caught 15,000 culprits using their phones at the wheel in just six months
    • Figures suggest one in every 200 drivers uses phone while driving on motorway
    • New high-tech cameras take high-definition photos through car windscreens
    • Cameras are being trialled on an undisclosed motorway ahead of blanket ban
    • Pilot scheme running since spring with wider rollout hoped for next year
    as a cyclist I reckon 1 in 200 is on the low side.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I've seen cyclists using mobile phones (including texting) while cycling. I've seen them with headphones. I'm guessing they just want to die.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

As long s cyclists don't run over those on foot while using their phones....

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...y-code-changes

Much of the British public is unaware of sweeping changes to the Highway Code that are due to come into force at the end of January, prompting claims that transport ministers are “missing in action”.

The revamped code establishes a hierarchy of road users, which means those who pose the greatest risk to others have a higher level of responsibility. This means someone cycling will have greater responsibility to look out for people walking, while someone driving will have greater responsibility to look out for people cycling, walking or riding a horse.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

That's how it works in many European countries.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          I've seen cyclists using mobile phones (including texting) while cycling. I've seen them with headphones. I'm guessing they just want to die.
          Well if we can police cyclists as well that would be great. Maybe at a minimum impound their cycles if the don't have lights or they think they are under 12 with hipster beards and can use the footpath. I'm happy for that to happen. my tax pounds mopping the pavement for blood after the pratts who ride in total darkness are wasted.

Maybe use AI for cyclists who don't understand red lights and give plod a pole to put through the front wheel / stinger if they don't stop.

But the number of feckwits who text at the wheel needs to reduce for everyone's safety. If we can reduce it significantly using cameras I am a fan! I remember idiots speeding at 100 plus, which is rare now because speed cameras actually work.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            As long s cyclists don't run over those on foot while using their phones....

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...y-code-changes

Much of the British public is unaware of sweeping changes to the Highway Code that are due to come into force at the end of January, prompting claims that transport ministers are “missing in action”.

The revamped code establishes a hierarchy of road users, which means those who pose the greatest risk to others have a higher level of responsibility. This means someone cycling will have greater responsibility to look out for people walking, while someone driving will have greater responsibility to look out for people cycling, walking or riding a horse.
            Time to get a dashcam, there will be a lot of suicidal pedestrians/bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Time to get a dashcam, there will be a lot of suicidal pedestrians/bikes.
              Had one for a few years.

First few months it was amusing to see people take care around me when they realised I had one.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

https://www.richmondandtwickenhamtim...-slowed-geese/

This made me laugh, however I feel sorry for the motorist, who will have to pay for the damage to her car, since the cyclist doesn't have 3rd party insurance. Cyclists are an absolute plague in Richmond Park, as they're all trying to be the fastest on some sort of cycling app. We used to moan about them ignoring traffic lights (which hasn't changed) but now all the roads are 20mph the cyclists are cheerfully ignoring the speed limits as well.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post

This made me laugh, however I feel sorry for the motorist, who will have to pay for the damage to her car, since the cyclist doesn't have 3rd party insurance. Cyclists are an absolute plague in Richmond Park, as they're all trying to be the fastest on some sort of cycling app. We used to moan about them ignoring traffic lights (which hasn't changed) but now all the roads are 20mph the cyclists are cheerfully ignoring the speed limits as well.
                  Happened to a colleague of mine when the car in front had to do an emergency stop. The car had ABS. His bicycle didn't. He didn't end up in hospital, but did damage the car, his bike, his body (a little) and his self-esteem (a lot). He had to pay for the repairs to the car. However, he had taken out liability insurance - he still felt an idiot for cycling too close. Didn't do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post

Do they still congregate by the pond comparing notes loudly, trying to act like they are "somebodies"?
                    Former IPSE member
                    My Website

Comment

Working...
                    X