• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Webb launch set for Christmas Day"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Really pretty amazing to avoid any hitches so far. One assumes that from this point (or soon) it already starts having some usability even if everything doesn't go perfectly?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Well it's made it to L2 and the bits and bobs have been unfolded.

Now time to focus those mirrors and get testing!

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Excellent news. They will probably spot god having a .....

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    ""Nasa engineers yesterday completed the final unfolding of the huge primary mirror of the agency’s James Webb space telescope. The manoeuvre was the final step of the $10bn observatory’s two-week deployment phase that began with its launch on Christmas Day.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...pace-telescope

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I was at the Hubble launch and was sent to ESTEC for the when the first images came through. Pretty spectacular at the time, very impressive. I've been told that this time you can get them at home as long as you've had your booster vaccine....

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    This seems to all be going pretty well so far (touch wood). More than 75% of "single point failure" operations completed successfully so far, with just the deployment of the primary mirrors to come over the next two days, then the L2 insertion burn and 5 months of calibration! Worth noting that they have a "functional" telescope now, even if the primary mirror wings were to fail to deploy.

More here: https://webb.nasa.gov/content/webbLa...tExplorer.html

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    First image already in:

Click image for larger version

Name:	270637846_10220382130531246_2706663097853264729_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=xbLb4Km7QhMAX9kHaoE&_nc_oc=AQn__YHfZdoqnLV8K_DtuBh8Qu2EgJE7eSc8Fz5rGQENtIh6Qx6MSoDd5LvZK5oeZh4&_nc_ht=scontent-frx5-1.xx&oh=00_AT-pP_l
Views:	141
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	4197623

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    Hope they didn't leave the lens cap on!
    Hope they didn't measure the diameter of one mirror in metres and another in fathoms, like last time with the Hubble!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Update: Santa has been destroyed by the range safety officer.

xkcd.com

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Hurray! It's safely on its way!

Just have to wait about a month for it to get to where its going and ensure that it unfolds. It'll be fully operational in about six months.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Hope they didn't leave the lens cap on!

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Two minutes in and it's not blown up yet!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    So I’ve got me Sherry and chocolate by my side. 20 minutes to go!

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    It's an impressive machine in many ways.

Designed by NASA, Canada, and the European Space Agency.

..But there are some who say that that bloke Bob Holness, the "Blockbusters" host who it was claimed played the sax in Jerry Raffety's "Baker Street" had something to do with it too. I can't think why..

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    ^^ what she said

Thanks for the reminder. I'm sure NASA will be live streaming via one of their many YouTube channels, that's where I watched coverage of the last Mars mission

Leave a comment:

Working...
X