• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Webb launch set for Christmas Day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Webb launch set for Christmas Day

Assume everyone likely to be interested already knows that the massive James Webb 'scope is set to launch 0720EST tomorrow (25th) - are any of you lot planning to pry the children off the TV long enough to watch pre-launch?
    Quite an astounding thing to have built, I think I saw a quote it's the most complicated/expensive humanity has yet constructed though I'm not sure this is true.

https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Genuinely a bit nervous about this one, not just the launch, which is always a bit of a risk, but getting it to the right place, unfolded and working - it is going to be incredible if they pull it off, can't wait for the images to start coming in. Doubt I'll be able to get anyone interested in the launch on Christmas morning tho..

Comment

Does make the Mars lander thing look a piece of pee in comparison. I've a friend who worked on a similar multi-year science satellite - I'm sure they were talking about it for about a decade in advance - which crashed and burned at launch 2 or 3 years back. Pretty traumatising for all concerned.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Oh! Yes, I’ve been keeping half an eye on it, but I’ll look at it more closely now.

Thanks for the reminder.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

^^ what she said

Thanks for the reminder. I'm sure NASA will be live streaming via one of their many YouTube channels, that's where I watched coverage of the last Mars mission

Comment

It's an impressive machine in many ways.

Designed by NASA, Canada, and the European Space Agency.

..But there are some who say that that bloke Bob Holness, the "Blockbusters" host who it was claimed played the sax in Jerry Raffety's "Baker Street" had something to do with it too. I can't think why..

Comment

So I’ve got me Sherry and chocolate by my side. 20 minutes to go!

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Two minutes in and it's not blown up yet!

Comment

Hope they didn't leave the lens cap on!

Comment

Hurray! It's safely on its way!

Just have to wait about a month for it to get to where its going and ensure that it unfolds. It'll be fully operational in about six months.

Comment

Working...
                    X