• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Parking Wars.

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Parking Wars."

Collapse

• GregRickshaw
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

agree its a tragedy.

Sadly having lived on an estate with too few parking spaces (council house tenants didn't have cars when this estate was built) because they were big properties that were attractive to large families parking became a bit of an issue.

We then bought a house with a big drive and it helped, but as mentioned before financially we have been lucky. Most young people are desperate to have a roof over their families heads, parking is just an irritant.
    Thankfully I too have a drive big enough to hold our cars and the road too is very quiet and we have none of the neighbours who would care if you parked over their drive even.

But as a kid and growing up to my early 30s, home was a big house in a quiet street with similar houses, but wow if you dared park your car on the kerb outside our immediate neighbours house, which also had a long front garden and a wall, all hell would break loose and they didn't even park there!

I remember after I parked my car three or four times outside their house for less than 30 minutes, they put their two cars exactly at the wall edge one side and their other car exactly at the wall edge the other side, leaving their huge drive empty.

They actually used to argue, which I never bothered arguing back that it was their part of the road. As is my nature and that of my families we just used to laugh it off and actually apologise.

Madness utter madness, it's behaviour which has always puzzled me and how I can understand why this event happened, I've seen anger over this most trivial of things.

I could see though how arguments which end up as tragically as this one could easily get out of hand.

The top and bottom of it all we have 60+ million people on an island which really should have half of that population.

My thoughts and prayers are with those children

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

P.S. Set your spell checker to English (UK) and not English (US)
    If you live in the right part of the US you can have no neighbours for 100 miles or more.....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

100 metres? Jeez, that's not proper contractor thinking. You inside IR35 or something?
    It's England. Finding a remote house that's nice and in a good location isn't easy, we build them close to each other.
    Having looked around properly rural properties with a decent budget it's not an easy ask. We ended up 200m and 150m from neighbours each way up the road, and 100m from the road but of all the properties we've looked at, none were similar.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post
    Humans eh? We murder each other over car parking....

The problem with car parking is people seem to think the bit of tarmac outside their house somehow belongs to them, not in this case but you know the ones who park on the road where the public highway seems to be an extension of their property. So many people get wound up by 'their' parking spot being taken... crazy waste of energy and time.

In the grand scheme of things, it's just a piece of metal, mainly heavily insured, which will end up as knives and forks one day... is it really worth making any fuss about. Such a tragedy and I'm sure there's a back story there somewhere.
    agree its a tragedy.

Sadly having lived on an estate with too few parking spaces (council house tenants didn't have cars when this estate was built) because they were big properties that were attractive to large families parking became a bit of an issue.

We then bought a house with a big drive and it helped, but as mentioned before financially we have been lucky. Most young people are desperate to have a roof over their families heads, parking is just an irritant.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by reddog View Post
    My dream is to live in a house with no neighbors with 100 metres.
    100 metres? Jeez, that's not proper contractor thinking. You inside IR35 or something?

P.S. Set your spell checker to English (UK) and not English (US)

Leave a comment:

• reddog
    replied
    Isn't this (indirectly) due to only one car parking space only being allowed when planning permission is granted, in order to "nudge" people in to using public transport (usually in an area without much public transport).

I have had quite a few gigs where there are only 50 car parking spaces, even though about 3,000 people are working on site, the background to this is planning permission, naturally contractors are the first to get the short end of the stick.

My dream is to live in a house with no neighbors with 100 metres.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Buy a house with a proper drive
    They - as in all the people living there - couldn't afford it.

Our parking disagreements only happen if one of the rented places has too many cars otherwise we just have a (quiet) agreement where to park according to people's disabilities, children, trade, etc. If my neighbours move away or on I will have to move.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

I did, when we decided city-centre life was getting old. 100m long, now the problem is putting the bins out. It's tough.

Leave a comment:

• GregRickshaw
    replied
    Humans eh? We murder each other over car parking....

The problem with car parking is people seem to think the bit of tarmac outside their house somehow belongs to them, not in this case but you know the ones who park on the road where the public highway seems to be an extension of their property. So many people get wound up by 'their' parking spot being taken... crazy waste of energy and time.

In the grand scheme of things, it's just a piece of metal, mainly heavily insured, which will end up as knives and forks one day... is it really worth making any fuss about. Such a tragedy and I'm sure there's a back story there somewhere.
    Last edited by GregRickshaw; 25 November 2021, 11:14.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Yeah it seems so petty but it is amazing how much it can niggle at you. You can spend your whole commute home dwelling and seething on if "your" space will be free or that idiot at #23 has taken it again and you'll have to park under the tree instead. Can't be good for us.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    While it's never gotten particularly physical, my parents have had a really nasty dispute with their neighbours which has gone on for the best part of 30+ years now. Can certainly see how these things fester and escalate - naturally, nobody is interested when it's "minor" anti social behaviour, but over a period of decades even the slightest transgression can set you off even if the individual act is relatively minor.
    Yeah it seems so petty but it is amazing how much it can niggle at you. You can spend your whole commute home dwelling and seething on if "your" space will be free or that idiot at #23 has taken it again and you'll have to park under the tree instead. Can't be good for us.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Which was probably what he was fighting over.

Apparently according to other newspaper reports most of the houses had 2 parking spaces each as there is no public transport in that area.

Looking at that ariel photo the end terrace houses appear to have 2 spaces, but the 2 mid terrace houses, owned by the warring parties, only seem to have one space each.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    New builds dont come with much parking space these days

I guess the suspect was not happy with the victims parking 2 cars in one space

"tension between them accelerated three months ago after Jenny crashed her car into a vehicle belonging to the neighbour as she returned home"
    You can imagine there are going to be arguments just looking at that picture. Parking two cars with both hanging over front and back is going to wind someone up for sure. The neighbour on the left isn't helping things by parking outside the lines as well. The arguments will start when the couple don't think they are doing anything wrong and be belligerent about it and the guy is a bit of a rules type. It's going to cause tension for sure. If they hit his car and carried on with the attitude due to a long term breakdown is undoubtedly make for a very uncomfortable situation.

If they apologised and paid damages in full then there shouldn't be an issue but if there are tensions I doubt that happened which will enrage him no end. Absolutely no reason to get violent or murder people though.

I think there is a lot of backstory here but nothing would excuse what has happened at all.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Two kids' lives destroyed overnight. As a parent this just sickens me.

I really, really f**king hate this world at times.

qh

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
    Youngsters are being taught/preached to stand-up to their rights, but they should also be taught when not to.
    Discretion is the better part of valour. For which better part, I am still alive. But maybe the victims did back down but the murderer was full of murderous intent.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X