• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Chutney time!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Chutney time!"

Collapse

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    I was alarmed to discover that the last pot of the late Strangelove Mater's chutney had made a valiant attempt to eat its way through the lid of the jar & escape.

I took pity on it & consigned it to the compost heap where it's eaten lots & lots of nice things.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

You want to throw some crabs in too for tannin
    How do you get the shell out?

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

You're lucky - lost all ours to blight.
    All of ours got early blight (which is less lethal than the full blown variety), but I have managed to save them - still producing, but not as well as they would be. It has been a horrendous year for them though, it was the wet July that did it I think. My dad lost all his to blight over a couple of days, as did a neighbour. Even worse, now I seem to have a fairly bad brown rot infestation in the apple tree.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

You can blend cookers & eaters to make cider. Won't be as good as Dabinett, etc, but will give you a reasonable output.
    You want to throw some crabs in too for tannin (though you can use teabags) but we currently don't have any eating apples. We inherited 5 Bramleys when we moved here and have planted 3 or 4 different eaters, a crab and two single-variety ciders but they haven't taken off yet except for the crab.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    the wonderful tree we have in the middle of the back garden is well over 100 years old and the other one not much younger.
    Could be an interesting old heritage variety then... there's an old community orchard round here that has similar.

Leave a comment:

• Sue B
    replied

You're lucky - lost all ours to blight.
    me too, for second year running. In previous years have got around 10 jars of autumn chutney, mixing cooking apples from our neighbours trees (i only have eating apples) with our own tomatoes, but will be lucky to get a side dish for two out of this years harvest.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

We only have cookers and crabs so my cider press sits covered in spiders. Planted some cider varieties but they are slow growers.
    A local landlord has started cider-making so likewise we may be donating apples.
    You can blend cookers & eaters to make cider. Won't be as good as Dabinett, etc, but will give you a reasonable output.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Are all the ingredients home-grown? If so, what varieties?
    Not the onion and I have no idea what the apples are. The small close we live in was built in an orchard (this part of Nottinghamshire was known for its apples and cider but that history has been lost) and the wonderful tree we have in the middle of the back garden is well over 100 years old and the other one not much younger.

Sadly ours are the only apple trees remaining in the close and I suspect that they will go too once we leave the property.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied

12 cooking apples and 1 onion produced 4 300ml jars.
    Bet that goes great with wensleydale (Hawes only please) and Christmas cake.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Apple Chilli chutney this year. I always worry about the solid to liquid ratio but it always works out in the end.
    That sometimes happens if you eat too much home-made chutney...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Are all the ingredients home-grown? If so, what varieties?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Nice! I hope to be joining you in a couple of years, planted some fruit trees this year but will take a year or two to fruit (apple, pear, plum and cherry).

Are the apples eaters or bakers?

Oh, what to you store it in, and if jars, how do you get enough?
    12 cooking apples and 1 onion produced 4 300ml jars.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    I always worry about the solid to liquid ratio
    You're either eating too much of it or the chilli's are too strong

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

We did some plum chutney a few weeks ago with the mirabelles. Turned out rather fine.

Giving away apples currently, while contemplating getting the cider press out.
    We only have cookers and crabs so my cider press sits covered in spiders. Planted some cider varieties but they are slow growers.
    A local landlord has started cider-making so likewise we may be donating apples.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    https://9gag.com/gag/amB4WP6

qh

Leave a comment:

Working...
X