• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I'm looking for a word..."

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Desk-filler?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    But neither jobsworth or clockwatcher (nor neccessarily mine, timeserver) necessarily imply incompetence.

Someone could be an infuriating, nitpicking jobsworth but actually pretty good at their job (maybe _because_ they are a jobsworth! )

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    'Clockwatcher'
    That sounds about right.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    'Clockwatcher' seems like the closest well-known term I can recall, though it's not perfect. 'Jobsworth' similarly.
    'Peter' could work (as in the Peter Principle)

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    tenure

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Skriggelyboffeltook

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
    I am after a single word to describe an overpaid underworked workshy public servant.
    Civil servant? (OK two words...).

Sinecurist?

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

"I am jealous of your employee's ability to be overpaid, underworked, incompetent and workshy. While I'm sure his local village has appointed a new idiot, I have to admire his skills in tricking you into giving him money for nothing, and as such he is my new role-model."
    Absolute class this one!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    "He is impossible to underestimate"

"He should carry a plant to replace the air he is wasting"

"I'm not saying he's the dumbest person in the world, just that he better hopes they don't die"

"I am jealous of your employee's ability to be overpaid, underworked, incompetent and workshy. While I'm sure his local village has appointed a new idiot, I have to admire his skills in tricking you into giving him money for nothing, and as such he is my new role-model."
    He has a lot to be modest about.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Oxygen thief.
    Waste of space.
    Pointless paycheck
    PHB

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    "He is impossible to underestimate"

"He should carry a plant to replace the air he is wasting"

"I'm not saying he's the dumbest person in the world, just that he better hopes they don't die"

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
    I am after a single word to describe an overpaid underworked workshy public servant.
    Can anyone help?
    PS: "A Boris" has been deemed unsuitable as has a Hancock, Gove, Patel, Raab and other similar!
    A drone? Nah, that can't be right. Bees work pretty hard. A timeserver?

A "wonky shopping trolley"? (c) Dominic Cummings

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Does it have to be a single word?

Shame we don't do compound nouns like the Germans do
    heres where I need to get to: Your employee is obviously a overpaid underworked incomepetent workshy four king bar steward!
    Everything after the word obviously is what I need to encapsulate!

Leave a comment:

• lorakeen
    replied
    apparatchik?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    How about "An Appleby"?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X