• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Nationwide Building Society House Price Index June 2021"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    It's only common in France but I'm told they are pretty tasty.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

At least you can eat horses, and sell them 2nd-hand. Few people want a pre-used dog.
    I suspect there could be such a glut on the market, that prices will collapse. People have been paying absolutely silly money for any old nag.

As for eating them, I think that's only a French thing (). Not sure how easy it is to export them these days.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    I suspect there are going to be a lot of dogs and cats that end up in the rescue pound once the novelty has worn off and people on furlough return to work (or end up on UC). Ditto with the horse buying boom, that probably won't end well either.
    At least you can eat horses, and sell them 2nd-hand. Few people want a pre-used dog.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    I suspect there are going to be a lot of dogs and cats that end up in the rescue pound once the novelty has worn off and people on furlough return to work (or end up on UC). Ditto with the horse buying boom, that probably won't end well either.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Bikes and smart turbo trainers were like hen's teeth.

Bikes are still hard to get, but for the moment turbo trainers are easier .... for those that like to gamble, why not buy a few now, and sell for a profit come winter when we go into the next lockdown and outdoor cycling is less enjoyable?
    More to the point, there must be a glut of all this stuff that people bought during lockdown and don't use now gyms are open, or bought during lockdown with good intentions and never used or even built. If not now, then surely soon. 2nd hand gym equipment is often cheap to begin with as it's heavy, could be some cracking deals in autumn.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

My cars are holding value better at this point than i thought they would when i bought them a few years ago.

Which is no real benefit for me because if i want to trade them in for newer ones those will cost even more than they would of been.
    Bit like moving up in the housing ladder. Your house has gone up but the one you want has gone up even more.
    Your petrol/diesel cars will be worth a fortune once they stop selling them!

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
    Can add any form of fitness equipment as well. When the gyms were closed, prices were eye watering.
    Bikes and smart turbo trainers were like hen's teeth.

Bikes are still hard to get, but for the moment turbo trainers are easier .... for those that like to gamble, why not buy a few now, and sell for a profit come winter when we go into the next lockdown and outdoor cycling is less enjoyable?

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    [QUOTE=Paralytic;n4171179]
    Which is no real benefit for me because if i want to trade them in for newer ones those will cost even more than they would of been.
    /QUOTE]

Would have been.
    English isnt my first language plus I also failed my English GCSE, it was a good thing back in the 90s many universities didn't require it for entrance to do a Computer Science degree.

Leave a comment:

• Martin@AS Financial
    replied
    Can add any form of fitness equipment as well. When the gyms were closed, prices were eye watering.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied

Would have been.
    Last edited by Paralytic; 1 July 2021, 15:41.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

The premium car market is another.

Friends bought a Porsche recently because they'd not had any holidays and it's now worth more than they paid for it less than a fortnight later.
    My cars are holding value better at this point than i thought they would when i bought them a few years ago.

Bit like moving up in the housing ladder. Your house has gone up but the one you want has gone up even more.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

First world problems
    Absolutely!

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Friends bought a Porsche recently because they'd not had any holidays
    First world problems

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Weird times but then it's been kind of weird for a long time. Back in 2008, I'm sure they said that ZIRP was only a temporary measure.

The market for puppies, kittens and horses has gone bonkers too. Puppies that would have been under £500 pre-covid are now fetching over £2500. Horses than can be ridden are like gold dust. Old nags, that would have cost a few hundred quid a year ago, are now going for over £5000.

Anyone know of any other markets that have got completely out of whack?
    The premium car market is another.

Friends bought a Porsche recently because they'd not had any holidays and it's now worth more than they paid for it less than a fortnight later.

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Anyone know of any other markets that have got completely out of whack?
    Every seems to have gone mental. I was in the market this year for a new (used) car and a small boat/engine (RIB). The former are up about £2-3k for what I want (family estate), that latter is basically impossible to source new in the UK right now, particularly small (5-10) hp engines, at least in the brands I want. The usual mix of excuses; Covid interrupted production, Brexit, huge demand (boats especially - staycationers spending their saved holiday budget), Suez canal, shipping problems etc. There does seem to be a perfect storm of high demand, lots of money sloshing about and limited availability of many things which is pushing prices through the roof. I don't know how they are going to fudge this one in the inflation figures.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X