• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is it because I swallow light?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Black Holes Matter.

qh
    No they're not.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied

Originally posted by vetran
    I hope you are joking?
    Yes i was. But this is kind of stuff they are brain washing our kids with in school these day.

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
    Nah the yellow man is currently looting Africa and most other places too
    Average IQ of the yellow man is about 30 points higher than the average for sub subsaharan Africa.

The poor africans don't stand a chance.

Even the Mongolians have an average IQ higher than the average UK or US person.

So the rest of the world doesn't stand a chance against the yellow man in the long run either.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...-iq-by-country
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 24 June 2021, 17:01.

Leave a comment:

• tazdevil
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Check your white privilege

Black on black slavery still exists because the White man looted Africa (plus many other countries).

Black on black crime happens because the white man is still oppressing the blacks, divide and conquer.
    Nah the yellow man is currently looting Africa and most other places too
    These days black men, and their white sycophants, oppress white men by whining on about whatever all the time

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Black Holes Matter.

qh

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Black on black slavery still exists because the White man looted Africa (plus many other countries).

Black on black crime happens because the white man is still oppressing the blacks, divide and conquer.

I hope you are joking?

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    If you want to be offended slavery is endemic in Africa (plus many other counties) and many black kids die from other black kids stabbing them in London.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    However other terms commonly used are from less pleasant roots. And it's not beyond the bounds of possibility the Latin roots are racist ones rather than my suggestion. Not sure who if anyone might know about that era of history here. Gibbon possibly.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    But do we know why black has links to illicit/illegal in Latin? It wouldn't be surprising if ancient languages were also influenced by their own cultures - or is this so far back in history we have no information why it is the way it is?

Black == dark for instance would make sense, as dumans don't like the dark.
    precisely - as my daughter says "its not all about you"

people need to realise language is complex and just because you see "black" its not about skin colour.

If you want to be offended slavery is endemic in Africa (plus many other counties) and many black kids die from other black kids stabbing them in London.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    But do we know why black has links to illicit/illegal in Latin? It wouldn't be surprising if ancient languages were also influenced by their own cultures - or is this so far back in history we have no information why it is the way it is?

Black == dark for instance would make sense, as dumans don't like the dark.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Why not get rid of Black and all it's meanings and replace it for ..................... Black - A description of the colour of an item.

So black balled, blacked, black listed will disappear but a black hole, black person, black item will stay.

Another 40 years or so for the older generation to disappear to the new generation that understands only the new usage and we are sorted.
    as per the link in Latin Black means many things including a colour and illicit/illegal. Its the same in German (Schwarz) and Norse/Swedish (svartr)

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    At least its black holes and not white trash. So should we just remove the word black from the dictionary and replace it with some other word which means the same thing and in the near future get all het up about how that word's used?
    Why not get rid of Black and all it's meanings and replace it for ..................... Black - A description of the colour of an item.

So black balled, blacked, black listed will disappear but a black hole, black person, black item will stay.

Another 40 years or so for the older generation to disappear to the new generation that understands only the new usage and we are sorted.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Was it switched on?
    Ah, she didn't swallow it, she ate it to try kill herself. Just the opening scene with this woman convulsing and spitting blood because of all the glass inside her had me dashing for stage left to make a coffee. The thought of it made me cringe. Nothing else really in the show did but chewing a lightbulb and swallowing the shards was too much for me for some reason.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    At least its black holes and not white trash. So should we just remove the word black from the dictionary and replace it with some other word which means the same thing and in the near future get all het up about how that word's used?
    Niger?

https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/th...f98018af6.html

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It is entirely obvious that language follows from culture and therefore even some technical terms are inspired as such - certainly any number of more informal/colloquial terms are. And of course in cultures where certain groups are treated as lesser, their works will receive less credit than they perhaps should - men getting credit for women's work, white guys getting credit for black guys' work. This is historical fact and common sense though I'm not sure what purpose studying it serves.

It's also entirely obvious that Black Hole is not such a term, neither is Black Body. Since this is from the DM I imagine an element of hyperbole to froth up the sort of people you can see frothing up in the comments already.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Yeah it is retarded.

(Which is exactly what happened to the word retarded)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X