• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Excellent all the more for us and the rest of the world!"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Warty View Post

I am going to insult you as I have lost the agument as usual.

I won't bother with facts as they confuse me.

I have as usual spent little too long out in the sun this afternoon, supping cheap lager
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Insulting me doesn't make you any more attractive to me, off to the docks with you as you keep dreaming about that.

Misquoting me just makes you look like even more of a BS merchant and irrational Europhile.

I said their senior politicians had suggested there were serious issues with AZ that has reduced their uptake in the EU. It has also spread irrational fear around the world. Though why anyone would pay any attention to President Micron Brain or Frau Murky is a mystery.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-b1818565.html

Many of their people no longer want AZ. They may think they will roll it out but as a direct result of their behaviour their citizens won't want it.

The EU banned export of AZ manufactured in the EU to the wider world including Australia.

The EU are behind the US, Israel and the UK in their vaccination program, no EU country is close to our percentage.

The EU have made deals for AZ and others but even Ursula has publicly admitted they made serious mistakes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56009251

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52380823

That is one fine rant there my friend.
    Seems someone has spent a little too long out in the sun this afternoon, supping cheap lager

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Many might decline. Many may not. They have still procured 500 million doses though, so they are not, as the idiot Vetran is trying to say, refusing to roll out AZ or J&J (which has now been pulled by the US).
    Insulting me doesn't make you any more attractive to me, off to the docks with you as you keep dreaming about that.

Misquoting me just makes you look like even more of a BS merchant and irrational Europhile.

I said their senior politicians had suggested there were serious issues with AZ that has reduced their uptake in the EU. It has also spread irrational fear around the world. Though why anyone would pay any attention to President Micron Brain or Frau Murky is a mystery.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-b1818565.html

Macron originally caused outrage in late January when he wrongly suggested that the Oxford vaccine was ineffective for those aged over 65, and that even those over 60 should “not be encouraged” by results. He then backtracked, saying he would go to court to get more supplies of AstraZeneca.

After authorising usage, Macron then performed yet another spectacular U-turn, almost certainly because German chancellor Angela Merkel – his chief EU ally – had suspended the use of AstraZeneca.

The scientific evidence for the suspension was negligible – leading French doctors united with health authority chiefs to say the temporary ban was entirely political, and even when lifted it would cause “catastrophic” damage to the vaccination programme. In the words of MP Nicolas Dupont-Aignan: “The executive sails blindly, no longer thinking for itself and only knows how to follow in Germany’s footsteps”.
    Many of their people no longer want AZ. They may think they will roll it out but as a direct result of their behaviour their citizens won't want it.

The EU banned export of AZ manufactured in the EU to the wider world including Australia.

The EU are behind the US, Israel and the UK in their vaccination program, no EU country is close to our percentage.

The EU have made deals for AZ and others but even Ursula has publicly admitted they made serious mistakes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56009251

"We were late to authorise. We were too optimistic when it came to massive production," the Commission president told the European Parliament, "and perhaps too confident that what we ordered would actually be delivered on time." She also noted that questions would have to be answered about what went wrong.

However, Mrs von der Leyen maintained that a joint EU response had been the correct decision in dealing with the pandemic: "I can't even imagine if a few big players had rushed to it and the others went empty-handed.

"In economic terms it would have been nonsense and it would have been I think the end of our community."
    She also defended the time taken to approve vaccines, which she described as "an essential investment to establish confidence and security".

The Commission president said she "deeply" regretted a threat made by the EU last month to restrict the flow of vaccines passing between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

"But in the end we got it right and I can reassure you that my Commission will do its utmost to protect the peace in Northern Ireland."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52380823

The European Union (EU) has been criticised for the pace of its vaccination programme - 18% of its population has received the jab, compared with 55% in the UK.
    However, the EU was slower than the UK to negotiate a contract with AstraZeneca, leading to supply problems.

It also signed deals with Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna, which saw early problems with production and distribution.

In February, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen acknowledged the EU's vaccine failures, saying: "We were late to authorise. We were too optimistic when it came to massive production and perhaps too confident that what we ordered would actually be delivered on time."

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

But having raised doubts over these vaccines, many people might decline them.
    Many might decline. Many may not. They have still procured 500 million doses though, so they are not, as the idiot Vetran is trying to say, refusing to roll out AZ or J&J (which has now been pulled by the US).

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Maybe you can get him to understand!

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied

They are choosing a different supplier who presumably gives them more confidence that they can deliver on their contract. And it's only from next year, this year they are still rolling out AZ and J&J. This is a non story to get the frothy mouth excited. Seems it's working

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    19 UK deaths from 20 million doses.

It's a failure of the EU nations that they can't convince themselves and their populations that this is a better set of odds than struggling on with low supply as the third wave strikes.

They are choosing a different supplier who presumably gives them more confidence that they can deliver on their contract. And it's only from next year, this year they are still rolling out AZ and J&J. This is a non story to get the frothy mouth excited. Seems it's working

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

19 UK deaths from 20 million doses.

It's a failure of the EU nations that they can't convince themselves and their populations that this is a better set of odds than struggling on with low supply as the third wave strikes.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Excellent all the more for us and the rest of the world!
    Switzerland's residents thank you. Also for the extensive real world testing. The EU are being stupid, but so what's new? Still third place in the world stakes. (US being first electing Trump).

I've no date for a test yet (but I got notification I'm in the queue), however, the government is giving five self-test covid kits per resident per month. My daughter has had to go to her college for lab work, and they got agreement from the authorities by testing each student twice a week. It's interesting to see that the testing massively reduce the number of expected infections, and there were no outbreaks.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    The mechanism for clots associated with the contraceptive pill vs those associated with the AZ vaccine are thought to be different although I don't think there's quite enough research yet. From what I've read, as someone who cannot take certain types of contraceptive pill because of the blood clotting risk, I believe there is no increased risk from having the AZ vaccine if you are at clotting risk from the pill. I think it is unhelpful to conflate the two as they are different.

I'll see what I get given tomorrow morning and you can take bets if you wish.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

Here.
    Yes they are being rather stupid.

Pretty awful timing really. Just after Brexit. Makes the case for returning harder to sell.
    Of course we could have still been in the EU, and still done our own thing with the vaccine.
    The most bizarre is that the UK have got it so right, DESPITE that clueless set of morons called a government.
    But a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Biggest problem now is the risk that the variants of the virus evolve quicker than the vaccines can be updated.
    That's because they brought in Nadhim Zahawi - no mention of him in Johnson's and Hancock's briefings, he's the only competent minister amongst them and he'll be booted out as soon as he's done his job.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

Ah one of them has arrived and is true to type. You are posting unsubstantiated bollocks as usual.

The EU are being stupid as the WHO and European Medicine agencies have both said the blood clot risk is minimal, significantly lower than the pill.

For some reason after deciding they wouldn't export any AZ vaccines because they needed so much to keep up their vaccine roll outs which are a third as successful as ours they then suggested it was risky and none of their people want it.

The UK actually bought most of the baskets before the eggs were even laid but they managed to avoid the Sanofi one the only one the EU had bet their shirt on.

The AZ is being manufactured all over but it appears we can't have any more from the factories in the EU. The Pfizer one again the EU don't want to share any. That I can understand it does seem the EU were and continue to be out manoeuvred by the UK. But trashing the vaccine is the part that I can't support.
    You might want to wipe the spittle from your mouth mate, you got a little excited there for a moment.

As I said, the EU are making a risk based decision. People, companies, countries do this all the time. What seems a low/insignificant risk to one entity, may be considered larger for another. I had the AZ vaccine, I took that risk. I therefore think based on current evidence that the EU is being overly risk averse, but they are allowed to - it's their choice. And their people don't want the AZ vaccine anyway so it's not such a big issue to the EU powers to make that call (if they do, which is not set in stone yet).

The rest of what you write is jingiostic dribble so doesn't warrant a proper response.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

You're seeing 2+2 and coming to 5.

From my reading of your post, the EU are not stopping vaccines, just the 2 you mention (and to be fair to the EU, they haven't said they are definitely not using AZ, but unlikely).

The EU aren't being stupid, they are making a risk based assessment and choosing other vaccines over AZ and J&J. Many other nations around the globe will follow suit. The UK can't follow suit with AZ unless it is very risky because the Tories have put all their eggs in the AZ basket.

But yes, if it makes you feel good then the EU are stupid and also anti-vaxers
    Ah one of them has arrived and is true to type. You are posting unsubstantiated bollocks as usual.

The EU are being stupid as the WHO and European Medicine agencies have both said the blood clot risk is minimal, significantly lower than the pill.

For some reason after deciding they wouldn't export any AZ vaccines because they needed so much to keep up their vaccine roll outs which are a third as successful as ours they then suggested it was risky and none of their people want it.

The UK actually bought most of the baskets before the eggs were even laid but they managed to avoid the Sanofi one the only one the EU had bet their shirt on.

The AZ is being manufactured all over but it appears we can't have any more from the factories in the EU. The Pfizer one again the EU don't want to share any. That I can understand it does seem the EU were and continue to be out manoeuvred by the UK. But trashing the vaccine is the part that I can't support.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nica-jabs.html

Goodness where are the Anti Vax decriers now the EU are the ones being stupid?
    You're seeing 2+2 and coming to 5.

From my reading of your post, the EU are not stopping vaccines, just the 2 you mention (and to be fair to the EU, they haven't said they are definitely not using AZ, but unlikely).

The EU aren't being stupid, they are making a risk based assessment and choosing other vaccines over AZ and J&J. Many other nations around the globe will follow suit. The UK can't follow suit with AZ unless it is very risky because the Tories have put all their eggs in the AZ basket.

But yes, if it makes you feel good then the EU are stupid and also anti-vaxers

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I reckon if they can have Covishield, the Indian branded version, they may accept it.
    lets hope, the world is manufacturing vaccine as fast as it can, we need to get it to everyone (who can use it) for it to work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X