• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Charity Shops: "We don't want the sh!t you found in the back of your shed""

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Way back in the mists of time in another life, I remember a lady colleague bringing a vibrator into the workshop on afternoon shift asking if we could fix it.

Oddly, no one volunteered.
    I keep watching BBC 3 health programs where they mention using sex toys. The doctor always asks the participant do they clean them regularly....

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Way back in the mists of time in another life, I remember a lady colleague bringing a vibrator into the workshop on afternoon shift asking if we could fix it.

Oddly, no one volunteered.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Lady this morning on Times radio who is a senior charity worker she was asked what she thought were the most unusual items donated, it seems they get sex toys on a regular basis.
    Second hand sex toys

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Lady this morning on Times radio who is a senior charity worker she was asked what she thought were the most unusual items donated, it seems they get sex toys on a regular basis.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post

NLUK
    I've been accused of a lot of things, and guilty of most. But reading out of date IT books is a first and definitely wrong

I'm more of a jazz mags from the bins in the truckers car park at service stations type.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    I have loads for the charity shop (decent kids clothes, they grow so bloody fast!) and children's books, but I've been punting other stuff on eBay with a fiver starting price and most of it sells.

We have those honest-to-goodness traveller folk who come round and collect metal items that people leave out. I had a skip recently and had to tell a few of them more than once that there was no scrap metal in it.

The in-laws are moving house and we had to pay a firm £130 to clear their garage but they were very efficient. Other than that you have the local tip/recycle center however since covid you now have to book a week or three in advance rather than just "tip up."

Planning a trip to the tip, we live in interesting times.

qh
    Last edited by quackhandle; 16 April 2021, 07:04.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I went past a charity shop the other day and I noticed they had loads of fascinators and fancy hats.

Anyway in my area people frequently Ieave stuff out on the street in front of their houses, though never seen any fascinators and fancy hats....

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

give us yer feckin money!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Charity shops and clearance are not the same thing. I was happy when the clearance guy gave me £5 after taking everything from my in-laws ex council house. I think he made about £100 on the decent stuff, but it took him three hours. Back in 1991.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

VB6 for the Dim?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	55tirp.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	4157693

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    If the public had their way hungry people would live solely on XXXXX Value Pasta.

<snip>

If all else fails throw in soap & female hygiene products in.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    Years ago I dropped a load of old IT / programming books off at a charity 2nd hand book store.

The store owner tool one look at them and said "straight to recycling, on one will buy that dull crap, who the hell reads this type of stuff?"
    NLUK

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Also anything going to recycling will probably cost them money, since they have to use licensed disposal carriers...

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I know some of the stuff I've donated to my local charity shop has sold because they send me an email telling me how much they've raised from the items I've dropped off. They don't say what sold vs what didn't but it's good to know they've gained a few hundred quid.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    Years ago I dropped a load of old IT / programming books off at a charity 2nd hand book store.

The store owner tool one look at them and said "straight to recycling, on one will buy that dull crap, who the hell reads this type of stuff?"
    VB6 for the Dim?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X