• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Imploded

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Imploded"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Congratulations, been looking at something like this too. Make the best of it which I'm sure you will

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Just the banana.

We are always happy to celebrate successes and have no real desire to know whether it's shelf stacking for minimum wage or working 7 hours a year for a billion pounds.
    This

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Just been offered a rather nice permie position... and with work at reasonable rates disappearing fast, I've accepted it. It's a consultancy, and I've known the directors personally for years. I'm bringing with me 40 days of consultancy, as my last client still wants me for some projects, but not enough days to make it worthwhile for me.

Working largely from home, very flexible working hours, interesting and challenging work. So, not boomed as such, but it's a good rate of pay and should take me to retirement.

Soon this place will have to renamed ex-contractorsuk.com

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Congratulations on the job, if it doesn’t work out you can always go back to contracting if you so desire. That’s the joy of having an open mind, you can change it.

As for the name of the forum, it could easily be argued that anyone who is not currently contracting isn’t really a contractor.
    Sitting on the bench? Not a contractor.
    Retired? Not a contractor.
    Being at the same client for multiple years? Not a contractor.
    Only prepared to work within 1 hour from home? Not a contractor.
    Main source of income not coming from contracting? Not a contractor.
    Unaware of the variation in rates based on location, requirements, ability and experience? Not a contractor.

I could go on (and I frequently do) but contracting is a state of mind, I’ve met contractors who have taken permanent roles and do a great job by bringing the contractor mentality to the role - do your best on this role, look out for the next one, go for things that interest you, make sure you get paid more each year and never p$$ off the people who sign your timesheets.

Good luck NAT!

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Well done. By far the sensible option to have peace of mind until retirement.

REally chuffed for ya NAT.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonPM1 View Post
    Congrats. What industry is this in and is this in Uk

Did you have no contractor options at all or were the rates really bad so perm was worth it

How long were you looking seriously for and we’re you on bench
    We all know this, so it’s not worth repeating, is it?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    He's in Swissland, he failed at being a contractor so he's gone perm, he's currently tied in first place for the title of CUKs worst mod (tied with all the other mods) but despite all that he's a damn fine fella in the flesh. That's all you need to know.
    When NLUK starts saying he likes the flesh - > Run! either that or buy shares in lube firms.

Seriously NAT glad to see you are following in my footsteps admittedly 17 years later, enjoy the 360 reviews (and expense account)

,,,,, MORE!!!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Can someone ban this LPM1 idiot. Tedious twat is spoiling even the normal threads. Just blatent trolling.
    Sure. No problem.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Can someone ban this LPM1 idiot. Tedious twat is spoiling even the normal threads. Just blatent trolling.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Congrats. What industry is this in
    IT consultancy
    and is this in Uk
    No.

How long were you looking seriously for and we’re you on bench
    I wasn't on the bench. I just called 'em up and said how about a permie job? First offer a bit low, so I pushed back and they offered me 10% more.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Just been offered a rather nice permie position... and with work at reasonable rates disappearing fast, I've accepted it. It's a consultancy, and I've known the directors personally for years. I'm bringing with me 40 days of consultancy, as my last client still wants me for some projects, but not enough days to make it worthwhile for me.

Working largely from home, very flexible working hours, interesting and challenging work. So, not boomed as such, but it's a good rate of pay and should take me to retirement.

Well done. Hand in your mod badge on they way out.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Jesus wept, please FOAD
    FTFY.

Just been offered a rather nice permie position... and with work at reasonable rates

Congrats.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 18 September 2020, 17:09.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Maybe someone can teach me the etiquette on this forum

When someone says they got a new job isn’t the first question Rate how hard was it to find did recruitment agency’s mess you about how long were you looking for etc

Or is it just throw them a banana and that’s the end of
    It.
    Just the banana.

We are always happy to celebrate successes and have no real desire to know whether it's shelf stacking for minimum wage or working 7 hours a year for a billion pounds.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    He's in Swissland, he failed at being a contractor so he's gone perm, he's currently tied in first place for the title of CUKs worst mod (tied with all the other mods) but despite all that he's a damn fine fella in the flesh. That's all you need to know.
    He brought chocolate to the last Xmas bash so is in my good books.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X