• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Home Extension Thoughts"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ClothCap View Post
    She didn't invent the concept.
    yeah but she has the frontage for it!

Leave a comment:

• ClothCap
    replied
    She didn't invent the concept.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Loving all this "adding value" talk. Very Sarah Beeney.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Good point about the cost of moving; I'm used to our house being ~250k and never considered that it might well be closer £550k for you, where SDLT would be £18k. In that case, moving will cost you £20k. Scary.

Leave a comment:

• ClothCap
    replied
    Do this but temper it by realising that everything has a ceiling price that is unlikely to be exceeded. Just to stop you getting carried away. Other than that, I'd say go for it, you won't regret it.

If you move you'll likely spend another £100k easily with fees and I'll bet you'd end up spending in the new house as well.

House are money pits really.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    So Mrs K78 would like to extend our current family room and bedroom above by approx. 60sq ft above and below. However 2 estate agents and an architect have advised that doing this will not increase the value of the house, as we are not adding new rooms.

Cost we estimate is approx. £50k, the benefit of doing this being will be in gaining additional room space and therefore more comfortable living.

But am struggling to justify the cost for no return in terms of value increase. Has anyone been in this situation before ?
    Worth it if your house is worth a fair bit, say £600k already, i.e. so that the % cost of extension is reasonable. Also worth it if you are going to live there for some years yet and hence reap the benefit. So your house value might not go up £50k, but it will go up, perhaps £30k.

We spent more on a double-storey extension a few years ago, which extended our kitchen to >500sqft and added a 5th bedroom with en-suite and dressing room. Our neighbour did a similar double-storey extension BUT didn't create a 5th bedroom, i.e. he just extended out the existing 4th bedroom. His house sold for a lot less than ours would.

I would strongly recommend trying to create the extra bedroom - that will bump up the value of your property. If you don't need the bedroom, use it as a walk in wardrobe, study, cinema room, whatever.

Also, build the biggest extension possible (within reason).

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    It depends. If you are intending to live in the house for several years then the change in value of the house is irrelevant. If you are doing the work because you want to make more money, then you're already considering selling it.

So, is it for you to enjoy your home more, or is it about profit?

...but when it comes to selling, if your house and another similar one come on the market at the same price, yours has the bigger rooms. Which one is more likely to sell?

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I disagree that there would be no value, there will be, but the architect is just unable to quantify it. If you are selling your house next door to someone else of course they will pay more for an extra 60 sq ft. That's a pretty sizeable extension.

I would use your own judgement as to what that would be worth.
    Absolutely - and not everything has to be 100% reflected in the resale value. We probably spent around £30k renovating our house when we moved in - I doubt it's added £30k straight onto the value (Though it's no doubt increased), but we got a house that's exactly as we wanted in a nice area with room to expand in the future. We've got no plans to sell, well, ever really so whatever! Plus knowing every inch of your house is nice.

Leave a comment:

• ClothCap
    replied
    Moving can easily cost 15 to 20k especially if you have a rental as well. Think extra stamp duty, legal fees, surveys, selling etc. Been through a similar thought process before deciding to stay and extend

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    If done well and you like the area you are in the probably a good option especially if you are not planning on moving.

But yeah you should be looking at 30 k assuming not a difficult build.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I disagree that there would be no value, there will be, but the architect is just unable to quantify it. If you are selling your house next door to someone else of course they will pay more for an extra 60 sq ft. That's a pretty sizeable extension.

I would use your own judgement as to what that would be worth.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 11 October 2016, 16:57.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The benefit is you get a nicer house. Your other choice is to move to a house costing £50k more... if you don't want to do that then the extension is worth it.

Also, it seems unlikely having two big lovely rooms wouldn't affect your value.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    50k for very little gain......ouch? Why not look at what you can buy nearby for $valueOfHouse + 50k?

Why's it 50k, though - that feels very expensive in its own right. 120sqft ~ 11sqmt = £4500 per square meter. I'd have thought £2-3k per square meter is more reasonable (for a good job with nice f&f). And that's ******* generous, given there's no bathroom and I'm just basing it on sheer volume, rather than assuming the second story should be less.
    Yes a valid question. Simple answer is that there aren't any equivalent suitable properties in our area and haven't been for the past year or so. We could look a bit further afield but want to stay in the area we are in now, which we know does restrict our options.

And £50k is a liberal estimate - we will get some more formal quotes based on the initial plans our architect is drawing up for us currently. So hopefully £30k will make it a bit more palatable...
    Last edited by kaiser78; 11 October 2016, 16:23.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    The beams to support the current load bearing wall will cost that by itself...
    I had to read your post twice, but...corrected

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    50k for very little gain......ouch? Why not look at what you can buy nearby for $valueOfHouse + 50k?

Why's it 50k, though - that feels very expensive in its own right. 120sqft ~ 11sqmt = £4500 per square meter. I'd have thought £2-3k is more reasonable (for a good job with nice f&f)
    The beams to support the current load bearing wall will cost that by itself...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X