• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How much do you consider to be a decent war chest?"

Collapse

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackCountryContractor View Post
    One thing I need to quietly just say is also with warchests that it is region specific & job specific; e.g. London compared to Birmingham as demonstrated here in this lovely chart can creep with percentages so what you can save for a warchest also needs to take into account that generic qoutes might not last long in certain regions also this been said; We have a variety of IT peeps here from different tiers of the IT contracting industry with variances in regards to pay.
    Exactly, which is why the size of one's warchest in months is probably the only useful comparison. 6-12 months often used to be the advice on here. After Covid hit in March, 6 months seems too low now IMO.

Leave a comment:

• BlackCountryContractor
    replied
    One thing I need to quietly just say is also with warchests that it is region specific & job specific; e.g. London compared to Birmingham as demonstrated here in this lovely chart can creep with percentages so what you can save for a warchest also needs to take into account that generic qoutes might not last long in certain regions also this been said; We have a variety of IT peeps here from different tiers of the IT contracting industry with variances in regards to pay.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    All those people saying £20k is plenty!

Try saying that back in March and then throughout summer whilst out of contract and pressing the JS search button.

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    About £350 billion.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Lol how did you even find this thread!

Interesting though, a £300k warchest 8 years ago would have quite easily been spent by now if someone relied entirely and only on these funds.
    £300k for 8 years is not a warchest. It's a badly planned retirement. Or someone who can't see the writing on the wall about their skills (or lack of).

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    FOLPM
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
    Bump a thread 12 years old talking about 20k to 300k warchests.

How relevant this is today !
    FOG

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Lol how did you even find this thread!

Interesting though, a £300k warchest 8 years ago would have quite easily been spent by now if someone relied entirely and only on these funds.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

It's not relevant to permanent employees obsessed with what everyone else earns.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Sorry was distracted. Yes it should read 2012 you are correct.

I just went through it and thought 20k these days seems a really low number indeed.

You can tell that almost a decade ago people thought the market was bad and contracting was bad so hope that gives some strength to others on here
    There will always be times when the market is bad for some sectors and skillsets

I don’t remember it ever being this bad before - JobServe has always had 10000 jobs listed not the 5000 it currently has

Leave a comment:

• NowPermOutsideUK
    replied
    Sorry was distracted. Yes it should read 2012 you are correct.

I just went through it and thought 20k these days seems a really low number indeed.

You can tell that almost a decade ago people thought the market was bad and contracting was bad so hope that gives some strength to others on here

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied

It’s 8 years old......
    Only 50% out.

Leave a comment:

• NowPermOutsideUK
    replied

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Normie View Post
    I also wish I was creative enough or driven to come up with a Plan B to make use of some of the money rather than it just sitting there getting eaten away by inflation. My biggest problem is that I'm too lazy.
    Maybe you'd like to fund my plan B

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Mines 12" and growing....
    I see some sad case doesnt like this comment and has told me to grow up on my rep setting.

Ho hum...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X