• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Most common role you are approached for."

Collapse

• rocktronAMP
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Inside roles at Tuppence Ha'Penny per day working with one of the 'Big 7 Consulting Firms', Clockwatchers & Co

Well, not always. But I do like to laugh at those ones.
    And your Big 7 Consulting Firms are:

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Inside roles at Tuppence Ha'Penny per day working with one of the 'Big 7 Consulting Firms', Clockwatchers & Co

Well, not always. But I do like to laugh at those ones.

Leave a comment:

• hungry_hog
    replied
    Business analyst roles at random consultancies which have been around less time than a prawn sandwich from Pret, and will probably expire before said sandwich!

Leave a comment:

• rocktronAMP
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

Funnily enough Sky are advertising for testers at the moment.
    Sky in Osterley over the years.
    I always knocked it back because of the b***ache of travel. Trains are a nightmare, I preferred the fast Virgin Train to Euston and then jump around on the London Underground to Victoria or Liverpool Street station (You know Zone 1 only clients). Therefore I refused to drive M1/M40 daily. I also hear that it is a missmanagement of developers / qa / testers since the pandemic, because of hybrid / fully remote in fighting ...

The other place is Tescos in Welwyn Garden City ... "We're Digital. We're Agile." They are nothing special IMHO compared to Sainsbury's Digital etc. Terrible interview process (2016/2017). J.f.C!
    Last edited by rocktronAMP; 25 January 2023, 20:32.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Not my experience. Although having worked there I don't get a single call. And in my experience most of the contractors are there forever. Proper sweet target for HMRC. I thought they'd be next after GSK for the letters.

Who is approaching you? Their internal people or an agent on their PSL?
    I've had a mixture - headhunters, internal 'talent acquisition' people, agencies.

To be clear, the roles were in a specific niche so may have not been representative of all of their IT department and hiring.

Last time I heard about a role there was pre-Covid I think.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post
    Sky in Osterley an Standard Chartered are two others.
    Funnily enough Sky are advertising for testers at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

Avoid like the plague, complete bulltulipters.

qh
    Love their LinkdIn profiles previous job: trolley pusher at Tesco (or bouncer at a pub), current job sales manager at Mason Frank
    Education 5 GSCEs

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

Oh yes Ford. “Client wants you in Dagenham X days a week, still interested? Hello?

I've passed by that part of the M25 when it wasn't "busy".

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I'm usually approached for roles that have absolutely no bearing on my actual skillset
    Me too - I am between contracts at present so I have engaged in a little agent baiting - asking them what it was on my Linkedin that suggested I'd be suitable. It amuses me a little even though I know it's pointless and childish.

Also getting approached for a lot of purple unicorn roles which have been written to combine the work of ten people and they seem genuinely surprised I am not interested.

In my niche BP at Sunbury is the always advertised role which must have monster churn - crap place to get to and really poor rates.

Selfridges lost a lot of good contractors (me included) with their blanket PSC ban.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Sky in Osterley an Standard Chartered are two others.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Oddly I always get contacted by Ford. I live in the wrong part of London to bother with them.
    Oh yes Ford. “Client wants you in Dagenham X days a week, still interested? Hello?

Sky TV is another. Mmm, weekday mornings on the M4, no thank you.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

That's Nigel Frank - hassle contractors and partners / end users until they give in.
    Avoid like the plague, complete bulltulipters.

qh

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    Originally posted by Snooky View Post

Vauxhall?

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Oddly I always get contacted by Ford. I live in the wrong part of London to bother with them.
    Vauxhall?

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    I used to get calls about Deloitte daily.
    Another was the firm that runs the Oyster card system
    TFL was another regular call

Leave a comment:

Working...
X