• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Permiedom beckons..."

Collapse

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Straight to HR!
    All roads lead to HR. Have you done your monthly training? You can get a badge to go on LinkedIn, you know.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    I wonder if Doris organises a Happy Hump Day?

qh

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

I have to admit, i was wondering where that sentence was going....
    Straight to HR!

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

PERMIE!

I contracted for a company, where, in an effort to boost morale in the IT department they had "Happy Hump Day" - every Wednesday one of the permies would ...
    I have to admit, i was wondering where that sentence was going....

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied

PERMIE!

I was, indeed, a permie... once. I don't know if "Gold Star Contractors" are a thing?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

I worked for a company...
    PERMIE!

I contracted for a company, where, in an effort to boost morale in the IT department they had "Happy Hump Day" - every Wednesday one of the permies would bring in doughnuts for the department.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Last time when I was on client sites, pre-Covid, the companies dress codes were dress down.

I worked for a company that went from "dress however you like every day" to "dress down Fridays". Morale absolutely tanked, and people left en masse.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I think this is a good point. Though I also think a lot of the "I can't deal with permie crap" sentiment is either vastly overblown or down to the people themselves being difficult buggers. All those here excepted of course. How hard is it to get paid to listen to someone waffle their way through a form anyway while you drink a free cup of coffee?
    I wouldn't mind if it was just that - these days companies expect you to write your own objectives and show them to your manager so they can shoot them all down in flames and make you start again - as soul-destroying pointless processes go, that's pretty high on the list.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Spoken to accountant today, for the first time since opening the company in 2005 I will be posting a loss.

Sunak and those f**kers at HMRC have a lot to answer for.

Happy Friday all.

qh off to get pi$$ed in the sun.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post

Doris will have got there first…
    Oh good. I've a bit of crush on Doris.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Woohoo... dress down Fridays.

Have you put in your order for stuff from the stationery cupboard?
    Doris will have got there first…

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Woohoo... dress down Fridays.
    Last time when I was on client sites, pre-Covid, the companies dress codes were dress down.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    I have never hated being a permy, I have just preferred freelance/contract more. In 19 years I haven't done that bad.

Getting knocked back on the few permy jobs I applied for as they see me as a contractor so I can see they would be reluctant to go forward.

Will still keep plugging away for that elusive gig.

qh

Leave a comment:

• BigLadFromBeeston666
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Er, if you salary increase is dependent on work, then by definition, surely that work is not free work?
    To clarify, I mean you're usually incentivised to go above and beyond your hours and duties when you're a permie. I can only speak to my experience when I was a young permie. Getting wheeled out to conferences, helping the biz dev team with pitches - none of that was within my remit.

But there was an implicit understanding that I had to do those things to move up the ladder, get promoted and get more dosh.

So when I talk about free work in a permanent employee sense, I mean the extra stuff you do that isn't in your contract of employment, but you implicitly know is expected of you in order to progress.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by BigLadFromBeeston666 View Post
    What's more, your salary increase is usually dependent on all this free work you're doing.
    Er, if you salary increase is dependent on work, then by definition, surely that work is not free work?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X