• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agent Faking A Contract Extension"

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Whether the word “fake” is correct or not, there is clearly something disingenuous taking place.
    Yes, they are trying to lock her into this assignment and not encourage her to look around and tell them she’s off before they offer her an extension on the last day of the current contract.

And she accepted. The gamble is whether they expect the the contract to actually appear, but by the OP’s admission it sounds as if the gamble will pay off.

So the OP should have asked herself did she want the extension even if offered?

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    It's still not fake.

When you have a contract with an agency you have no idea if the contract between the agency and the client matches it. That doesn't make it fake either.

You are engaged by the agency to work with their client. You are NOT engaged on behalf of the client.
    Whether the word “fake” is correct or not, there is clearly something disingenuous taking place.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Looks like worst post of the year has already been won just 2 days in.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by CountryGirl View Post
    But what makes it fake? - The fact that it was issued by the agent, without the client knowing or approving it.

Who was the agent? - G2 Recruitment

Did you sign it? - Yes, I have.
    It's still not fake.

When you have a contract with an agency you have no idea if the contract between the agency and the client matches it. That doesn't make it fake either.

You are engaged by the agency to work with their client. You are NOT engaged on behalf of the client.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    But what makes it fake? - The fact that it was issued by the agent, without the client knowing or approving it.

Didn't you have a feel from ClientCo whether they want to extend you or not? Usually you are asked to do some handover if they know you are departing.

Or did you turn up on day 1 of the new extension only to find out your account and access card are no longer working.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

And have you started?

Leave a comment:

• CountryGirl
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    I'm almost impressed by that.

If true, and it didn't just fall through for normal reasons, then that is certainly one of the tuliptiest things I've heard an agency do.
    My first contract was similar. The agency had me on 3 month renewals, the client were doing me on one month. Never was a problem as the client always renewed eventually, but I didn't have the hassle. Stayed there for nearly 3 years on that basis.
    I left when I knew the work had actually dried up.

I'm not really sure any of this is a problem other than the agency being a little opaque (STOP THE PRESS).

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    I'm almost impressed by that.

If true, and it didn't just fall through for normal reasons, then that is certainly one of the tuliptiest things I've heard an agency do.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Yeh still cant work out how its fake. Unless as others have said agent has pre-empted it. If so then its their mess to sort out surely?

Yeah if it all goes pete tong claim off IPSE if a member. I did once when a contract was pulled on the friday before monday start. Got a days rate but better than nothing.
    It's also handy evidence to the social that you've not deliberately made yourself unemployed.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Yeh still cant work out how its fake. Unless as others have said agent has pre-empted it. If so then its their mess to sort out surely?

Yeah if it all goes pete tong claim off IPSE if a member. I did once when a contract was pulled on the friday before monday start. Got a days rate but better than nothing.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by simes View Post
    Blood, Stone and Dragging, are words that come to mind...
    I can't think of a sockie with that MO.

Especially not one that rhymes with de-licer.

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    But what makes it fake?

Who was the agent?

Did you sign it?
    Blood, Stone and Dragging, are words that come to mind...

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    1. Its a real contract not a fake.
    2. The fact that the client hasn't extended with the agency is the agency's problem (and by extension yours also). They have signed you up for another six months.
    3. You may well not get paid if you don't do any work.
    4. If you can get the client to sign your time sheet (immaterial of any work) then the agency MUST pay you, but the agency won't get paid. This point does rely on you you being the only contractor on site and the agency/client having no more commercial relationship. Worth a try anyway. I am assuming that you haven't started and the agency have terminated you.
    5. You could get legal but you would have to demonstrate a loss. If you can prove that the agency provided you a contract without any intention to honour it you may have a case.
    6. As others have said. IPSE could provide some cover, as well as legal assistance for point 5.

To reiterate it's not fake. It could be argued to be fraudulent though, if there was no intention to honour it.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    It does sound a bit naughty. To tell a contractor - here's your renewal, when the client hasn't confirmed it. Have you suffered any loss as a result? (Assuming the client hasn't renewed).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X