• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent Faking A Contract Extension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CountryGirl View Post
    Very simply. Emailing you a new contract starting a day after your current one has ended, for 6 months.

So, that doesn't make it fake.

Please, don't tell us 1/4 of a story. What made it a fake extension?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

What was the reason for doing this?
      In my agent words:"Because sometimes the client extends the contract on the last day, and by this time the contractor is already off the market".

Comment

In my agent words:"Because sometimes the client extends the contract on the last day, and by this time the contractor is already off the market".
        Do you mean that the client had not approved this extension, and the agent was just stringing you a line to prevent you from looking for a new contract?

How likely is it that the client would have approved the extension on the last day?

The agent is taking a gamble certainly.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

But what makes it fake?

Who was the agent?

Did you sign it?
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

It does sound a bit naughty. To tell a contractor - here's your renewal, when the client hasn't confirmed it. Have you suffered any loss as a result? (Assuming the client hasn't renewed).
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

1. Its a real contract not a fake.
              2. The fact that the client hasn't extended with the agency is the agency's problem (and by extension yours also). They have signed you up for another six months.
              3. You may well not get paid if you don't do any work.
              4. If you can get the client to sign your time sheet (immaterial of any work) then the agency MUST pay you, but the agency won't get paid. This point does rely on you you being the only contractor on site and the agency/client having no more commercial relationship. Worth a try anyway. I am assuming that you haven't started and the agency have terminated you.
              5. You could get legal but you would have to demonstrate a loss. If you can prove that the agency provided you a contract without any intention to honour it you may have a case.
              6. As others have said. IPSE could provide some cover, as well as legal assistance for point 5.

To reiterate it's not fake. It could be argued to be fraudulent though, if there was no intention to honour it.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                But what makes it fake?

Who was the agent?

Did you sign it?
                Blood, Stone and Dragging, are words that come to mind...

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                  Blood, Stone and Dragging, are words that come to mind...
                  I can't think of a sockie with that MO.

Especially not one that rhymes with de-licer.

Comment

Yeh still cant work out how its fake. Unless as others have said agent has pre-empted it. If so then its their mess to sort out surely?

Yeah if it all goes pete tong claim off IPSE if a member. I did once when a contract was pulled on the friday before monday start. Got a days rate but better than nothing.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      Yeh still cant work out how its fake. Unless as others have said agent has pre-empted it. If so then its their mess to sort out surely?

Yeah if it all goes pete tong claim off IPSE if a member. I did once when a contract was pulled on the friday before monday start. Got a days rate but better than nothing.
                      It's also handy evidence to the social that you've not deliberately made yourself unemployed.

Comment

Working...
                      X