• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of the Market"

Collapse

• Bluenose
    replied
    Market update: we have bounced off the bottom but that was a double bottom.

Leave a comment:

• willendure
    replied
    Originally posted by fatJock View Post

It's been demonstrated time and time again that folks shouldn't be put off by the number of applications to roles on LI as there is very little quality control. An agent I know had similar, 500+ applications and less than a dozen vaguely worth considering. 80%+ were overseas folks without the skills or needing visa support.
    I agree. Current client posted a role and got 300+ responses, none of which actually had any experience of the main skill requested.

The problem is, if you apply too you are going to get lost in the pile. So if you can, apply through a different channel.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
    Just as I am in the throws of shutting down my Limited company out of the blue I've had a call about a potential outside role, paying £375 - £400 per day with a minimum of 3 days in the office....it's about an hour from me. Not getting hopes up as no doubt someone will offer to do it for tuppence.....

I've been fully remote for 5 years so 3 days minimum per week in an office isn't massively appealing....plus rate is not all that....any thoughts/comments...
    What other options have you got? bench at £0ph? if it sounds doable and semi interesting, I'd go for it.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I am going for it seemed v promising yesterday but not sure it will happen...they will no doubt have a lot of interest!
    Good luck! Hopefully it'll tide you over until something better comes along.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post

That sounds excellent. I would work for free in a office ATM!
    Blasphemy! - BURN THE WITCH!!

Leave a comment:

• Cookielove
    replied
    I am going for it seemed v promising yesterday but not sure it will happen...they will no doubt have a lot of interest!

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post

I posted an IT role on LI before the summer. About 95% of the many, many applicants weren't qualified for the role. They either hadn't even read the job spec, or were applying from countries such as Turkey, Iran or Pakistan with no right to work in the country.
    How easy is it to sift through the applicants? cause for normal jobs, if you get 400 CVs you will just stop looking past a certain amount, so you might miss some pretty well fitting CVs that way. That's the main issue with 100+ applicants, is that your CV just drowns in a sea of tulipe.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Just as I am in the throws of shutting down my Limited company out of the blue I've had a call about a potential outside role, paying £375 - £400 per day with a minimum of 3 days in the office....it's about an hour from me. Not getting hopes up as no doubt someone will offer to do it for tuppence.....

I've been fully remote for 5 years so 3 days minimum per week in an office isn't massively appealing....plus rate is not all that....any thoughts/comments...
    I'd do it. I actually quite like being in the office though. Not full time, of course, but 3 days is actually a nice balance.

Leave a comment:

• SchumiStars
    replied

That sounds excellent. I would work for free in a office ATM!

Leave a comment:

• Cookielove
    replied

Leave a comment:

• m0n1k3r
    replied
    There are now so many candidates we are well and truly sunk....another IT role on LI 480 applicants ...the visa system has well and truly scuppered the UK workforce what a sad state of affairs
    I posted an IT role on LI before the summer. About 95% of the many, many applicants weren't qualified for the role. They either hadn't even read the job spec, or were applying from countries such as Turkey, Iran or Pakistan with no right to work in the country.

Leave a comment:

• m0n1k3r
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

Many of the best people I know are Indian contractors - as you say its the consultancies (especially the offshore workers) who are by far the worst / least capable.
    An Indian contractor mate of mine told me developers are not paid well in those consultancies. Their profit margins are apparently huge. The only way to make a decent living is to quickly become a manager (and stop developing). He wanted to become one of the best Java developers in the world (his own words), so he left and became a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    The job boards and to a lesser extent LinkedIn jobs haven't been a great way to get contracts for a few years now. It has all been about the network for me for several years.

Problem is they are probably all in the same boat.

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
    Ricki has done us over. Called over his home boys
    What, all the way from Southampton?

Leave a comment:

• Cookielove
    replied
    Yep I know that..... but the numbers are still eye wateringly high!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X