• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of the Market"

Collapse

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

This is about getting contracts, not how well your savings are doing.
    And no, no matter how much you like to derail this thread to be about interest rates, inflation, etc, it's actually about jobs. They may be linked, but since your focus is never on jobs, always on global economy, you're not offering much help or advice.
    As a fellow Java dev I have given Schumistars tailored advice on this thread more than once over the last twelve months.

Even to the point of pointing out what i thought was weak on his linked in profile.

In my last post i'm trying to give give him some idea and hope when the market overall might pick up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Layoff.png
Views:	0
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	4296214
    Last edited by Fraidycat; Today, 04:01.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

It will end because governments are indebted to the tune of trillions. And paying record amounts in interest on that debt.

They will cut rates as low as they can, as near to zero as they can, once the inflation genie is back in the bottle.

The markets are predicting only small rate cuts over the next few years but in reality they will cut much faster as soon as they can get away with it.
    This is about getting contracts, not how well your savings are doing.
    And no, no matter how much you like to derail this thread to be about interest rates, inflation, etc, it's actually about jobs. They may be linked, but since your focus is never on jobs, always on global economy, you're not offering much help or advice.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
    This is never going to end. FFS..
    It will end because governments are indebted to the tune of trillions. And paying record amounts in interest on that debt.

They will cut rates as low as they can, as near to zero as they can, once the inflation genie is back in the bottle.

The markets are predicting only small rate cuts over the next few years but in reality they will cut much faster as soon as they can get away with it.

Leave a comment:

• Sub
    replied
    It certainly will end at some point. I only hope that we will remember current environment as bad times, and not as good ones.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    It usually does and then things go back to how they were when people realise there's too much risk in undercutting and saving an extra 50k a year is feck all if the whole programme fails. Then again, if they take a risk in giving the roles to low paid staff and it doesn't implode...well then, you have a "market correction" re rates and we are fecked.

Leave a comment:

• SchumiStars
    replied

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Originally posted by dsc View Post

Ah yes, sorry, read that as ordinary PM, although some (whoever advertised this) would probably argue project / programme is the same, just slightly different scale.

Question is, have we reached the bottom of the barrel re rates or is it possible to go lower...
    Sure we can. We can take perm roles with US-based companies that offer $50,000-$70,000 (per year). You can have low pay and a work life culture shock in one.

Leave a comment:

• hungry_hog
    replied
    Originally posted by dsc View Post

Ah yes, sorry, read that as ordinary PM, although some (whoever advertised this) would probably argue project / programme is the same, just slightly different scale.

Question is, have we reached the bottom of the barrel re rates or is it possible to go lower...
    Unpaid internships (which used to be the preserve of students / apprentices) next!

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

For a Program (sic) Manager? Yes for a Project Manager but Programme Management tends to attract a much higher rate.

Leave a comment:

• willendure
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

How does moving to another country and, allegedly, trafficking women to use in your webcam business fit into this lecture?
    It makes him rich whilst exploiting female "super brokies". Whats with the weird way of talking too, sort of american but keeps reverting back to british, all over the place.

On the subject of so-called "alpha" males... Recently I have caught up on the lives of various "alphas" I have known in the past but not kept up with. They have come back onto my radar through other friends invariably because of various forms of life meltdown they are encountering in their mid-life period - wives committing suicide, drinking themselves to death, that sort of thing. And then I suddenly realized how massively insecure all of them are. Just great big bags of attention seeking ego with little grit or substance. As a quiet and highly intelligent person myself, I have always disliked being talked over by such people. I work with one now, and whilst he thinks most magnificently of himself and certainly enjoys the sound of his own voice, he is a narcissist, very insecure, completely disorganized and full of tulipe. Its quite refreshing really, to gain this perspective on things. These days I just smile and laugh and fail to register 90% of the crap that comes out of their mouths.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied

Not a necessary comment, no need for that
    not everyone's familiar with marvin.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

True but Gigi's post wasn't needed in prof either to be fair.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post

normal for the paranoid android.
    I thought they'd fecked off a long time ago, but, like a bad smell.................

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by squarepeg View Post

Then there is the location of the office written into the contract. If you live away from Blackpool or Manchester and you have to commute you cannot claim travel expenses, because you are tied to the location of your office not your home. Your meagre takings disappear quite fast.
    This is the thing that gets overlooked in the Inside/Outside debate that unless an Inside contract is stupid money it restricts contractors geographically.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    For some light relief, Andrew Tate's hilarious take on immigrants taking our jobs. NSFW.

https://x.com/TateOfficialUni/status...44037169840463
    How does moving to another country and, allegedly, trafficking women to use in your webcam business fit into this lecture?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X