• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of the Market"

Collapse

• SchumiStars
    replied
    I have never posted so much on this site

FFS, I hate this tulip.

Leave a comment:

• OzzieExpat
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

There isn't really a modern way of testing. The Agile manifesto was agreed in 2001 and Agile was around before that.

Putting aside the full on testing tools, Selenium, etc., to one side I have been using SQL for a couple of decades and whenever I need to use something new to me like, for example, Postman a couple of years back, someone showed it to me and away I went. As I said I did fall over on one question but that was to do with being blindsided by something not on the job description, not being stuck in the early part of the century.

Next time round I will probably be interviewed by someone who values experience and it will be a different conversation. You can't win them all.
    I wonder as it's a legacy project if includes a time machine to take you back to prices as they were in 1994. I remember back then rates being around the £250 a day mark for a mid level role.

Leave a comment:

• oliverson
    replied
    I don't think this is going to help matters either:

https://news.sky.com/story/biggest-us-tech-sell-off-for-over-a-decade-reflects-impatience-on-ai-profits-13184676

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post

From the sound of it you need to use your off time to learn all the modern ways of testing.
    There isn't really a modern way of testing. The Agile manifesto was agreed in 2001 and Agile was around before that.

Putting aside the full on testing tools, Selenium, etc., to one side I have been using SQL for a couple of decades and whenever I need to use something new to me like, for example, Postman a couple of years back, someone showed it to me and away I went. As I said I did fall over on one question but that was to do with being blindsided by something not on the job description, not being stuck in the early part of the century.

Next time round I will probably be interviewed by someone who values experience and it will be a different conversation. You can't win them all.

Leave a comment:

• Paracelsus
    replied
    https://jobserve.com/gb/en/find-jobs...0DC17584CC15A/

£200pd, but not asking for a lot - just backend, frontend, SQL and Azure.

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied
    Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
    Had a phone call from an agent today, honestly think they are taking the Michael.

5 days onsite, Elephant and Castle (horrible!), Active SC, £190 per day inside. After tax, travelling expenses and lunch, £80pd.

Even though, I am out of contract, that was ridiculous.
    I think I have said it before. These type of ads are deliberately designed to discourage anyone local from applying. You know why!

Leave a comment:

• SchumiStars
    replied
    Had a phone call from an agent today, honestly think they are taking the Michael.

5 days onsite, Elephant and Castle (horrible!), Active SC, £190 per day inside. After tax, travelling expenses and lunch, £80pd.

Even though, I am out of contract, that was ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• hungry_hog
    replied
    I’m not sure age itself is the factor, as much as a client assuming that someone with 20 year’s experience will want a much higher rate

Place I was at before was very keen on Power BI and Python. These are skills easily picked up at Uni by any STEM student, so in effect we are competing with people who are happy to work for 35k. A lot of the domain knowledge can be learnt on the job.

Place was full of recent grads and people over 40 were rare. This was a large blue blood UK asset manager, not some trendy start up!

I don't put my DOB but my age can be roughly worked out from my experience. The challenge for me is a lot of clients want experience and are perfectly aware you won't be there in 6 months or a years time so age isn't a problem.

I had an interview with two people who were probably in their early 30s last week. To be fair I did fall over a question so can understand why I didn't get it but the feedback was worded that my testing knowledge wasn't 'modern enough', which certain hints that they thought any lack of knowledge on my part was caused by age as opposed to just being a lack of knowledge caused by a lack of knowledge.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by sspt27 View Post
    Like another poster here, I'm wondering whether I'm a resting contractor, or an (involuntarily) retired contractor.
    It's so important to use LinkedIn and have a network of contacts that you can reach out to and say "I'm available, if you know of any opportunities"

Failing that. We live in the best time ever to earn money on the side. Like many things this is much better in the US, that if you deliver someone's groceries they will tip generously, often almost doubling your wages. In the UK lucky to get a quid tip. I haven't done this myself, but I enjoy watching people on Youtube do it. I find it quite relaxing for some reason.

The fact is the retirement age was raised, partially to allow people to work longer and build up a larger pension pot. If people are being turned down for permanent jobs due to age then that is a real problem.
    No, hitting the retirement age was not stopping anyone from continuing if they so wished. Raising the age was a cynical way to save money, so they could spend on their own pet causes. Government would love it if people died before claiming any pension.

From the sound of it you need to use your off time to learn all the modern ways of testing.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

I am not convinced there is a niche you can occupy that will let you escape the current storm other than being in a contract and holding on to it!
    ^^^

The problem with a niche is that unless someone needs that skillset you are going to be sat waiting for a call.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

I used to be in Testing domain. Both Automation and Manual. Selenium, Cucumber, JUnit, NUnit the lot. Seeing the 'demand' for testers, I 'prepared' my CV, moved on to Data Domain. It was Definitely better but looks like it's going to get the same fate as testing. One thing I am unable to make up for, is my age and grey hair
    I am not convinced there is a niche you can occupy that will let you escape the current storm other than being in a contract and holding on to it!

Leave a comment:

• Smartie
    replied
    There might be a hint of green shoots - the latest PMI index shows improvements in both manufacturing and services. That's usually a sign of businesses improving confidence and investment.

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied

I don't put my DOB but my age can be roughly worked out from my experience. The challenge for me is a lot of clients want experience and are perfectly aware you won't be there in 6 months or a years time so age isn't a problem.

I had an interview with two people who were probably in their early 30s last week. To be fair I did fall over a question so can understand why I didn't get it but the feedback was worded that my testing knowledge wasn't 'modern enough', which certain hints that they thought any lack of knowledge on my part was caused by age as opposed to just being a lack of knowledge caused by a lack of knowledge.
    I used to be in Testing domain. Both Automation and Manual. Selenium, Cucumber, JUnit, NUnit the lot. Seeing the 'demand' for testers, I 'prepared' my CV, moved on to Data Domain. It was Definitely better but looks like it's going to get the same fate as testing. One thing I am unable to make up for, is my age and grey hair
    Last edited by BigDataPro; Yesterday, 12:22.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post

Don't put your DOB on your CV.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    I don’t think any of this is down to ageism in the contracting sector anyway. It certainly is in the perm sector and it’s almost understandable although being in the 55+ bracket I don’t agree with it but I understand it.

its pure and simple supply and demand which the low number of contracts even falsely advertised and the crap rates tell you. Lots of older perms made or taken redundancy are finding out contracting is not as easy as it looked from the other side of the fence.

Question is, am I a retired contractor or an out of work contractor? One thing I’m not is a desperate contractor.
    The fact is the retirement age was raised, partially to allow people to work longer and build up a larger pension pot. If people are being turned down for permanent jobs due to age then that is a real problem.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X