• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Share Investment, Discussion & Tips"

Collapse

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    MSTR seems to act like a leverage play on BTC. When BTC is bullish, it goes up more than BTC; when BTC is bearish, it goes down more than BTC.

There has only been a correlation for about a year or so, since the company started loading up on BTC, so I'm not sure how reliable a proxy it will be going forward.

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies...k-ftx/mstr/btc

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    MSTR current trading at $420 and BTC a little under $41K, which pretty much aligns with the table above!
    A while back, someone mentioned Argo Blockchain (ARB), listed on the LSE, for exposure to BTC. But it's share price has a poor correlation with BTC. MSTR seems like it could be a much better proxy.

I'm not interested in long-term investing in crypto but I was going to do a bit of short-term trading with one of the BTC ETFs in my SIPP, until they barred them. I guess I could use MSTR instead, although I'd need to do a bit of research to see how close the correlation really is.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by lecyclist View Post
    MSTR provides exposure to approximately .95 BTC per 100 shares and is purchasable via your SIPP (once you have completed a W-8BEN form on your SIPP platform). Currently trading at $550.05 per share, with analyst price targets as low as $360 from Citigroup yesterday, it could be considered a future buy if you are bullish on the prospects for crypto, and are comfortable mixing business value and BTC value.

Here is a nice chart from the Reddit thread, that suggests valuations based on varying BTC prices. Note that currently BTC is $31000, which aligns with the current negative analyst consensus.

Always interesting to look at past analysis and see how things have changed.

MSTR current trading at $420 and BTC a little under $41K, which pretty much aligns with the table above!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I suspect some investors will be looking at ways of investing in Russia via cloaking. Follow JRM's money trail and see where his companies are putting their cash in the next month or so.
    Ignoring any moral implications, the biggest risk is that Putin freezes out all foreign investors (or maybe all except China, for example) In which case, get your Cayman Islands company to invest in a Seychelles company that works its way back via China to Russia.
    Gazprom and Lukoil seem to be the only shares still trading in Europe, but I suspect trading will probably cease by the end of the week. Russian ETF's are tradeable though and probably will remain so.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 1 March 2022, 09:09.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I was rebalancing my portfolio due to the Russian crisis...
    I suspect some investors will be looking at ways of investing in Russia via cloaking. Follow JRM's money trail and see where his companies are putting their cash in the next month or so.
    Ignoring any moral implications, the biggest risk is that Putin freezes out all foreign investors (or maybe all except China, for example) In which case, get your Cayman Islands company to invest in a Seychelles company that works its way back via China to Russia.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I was rebalancing my portfolio due to the Russian crisis, and came across this what looks like a gem:
    Lumen technologies

https://www.fool.com/quote/nyse/lumn/

It's been beaten down due to declining revenues but when you look closer it looks like a turn around. Basically a telecomms company shifting from copper to fibreglass. But it does look like that the infrastructure is largely in place for a big turn around in 2023.

It's currently paying a 10% dividend.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 1 March 2022, 08:32.

Leave a comment:

• CanPayButWouldRatherNot
    replied
    My plan was to cash out the post covid rally winnings and take those funds out and offset the mortgage for a bit ....and then by end march top up this years allowance and leave it as cash ...

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post
    Regarding ISA payments ... now I am a bit bearish at the moment but with april on the horizon ... worried that I havent put in my full allowance ... just wondered if folks have put in a lump sum as cash to ensure that years allowance isnt lost ... but then sat on the cash in the account (with interactive investor)
    If you are asking can you do that? The answer is, yes you can. The cash will be in a stocks and shares ISA pending investment decisions. And that's just fine. Better to pay up the year's ISA allowance if you can.

Leave a comment:

• CanPayButWouldRatherNot
    replied
    Regarding ISA payments ... now I am a bit bearish at the moment but with april on the horizon ... worried that I havent put in my full allowance ... just wondered if folks have put in a lump sum as cash to ensure that years allowance isnt lost ... but then sat on the cash in the account (with interactive investor)

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    However, give it a couple of years and Richard Wilson will be out and then things will change.
    I don't believe it.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    What a shame. Aberdeen (abrdn as they comically call themselves now) are buying the retail investment platform Interactive Investor. Abrdn are a train wreck since the merger with Standard Life, whilst Interactive Investor has become a terrific low cost retail platform for those who like a fixed fee platform for their ISA and/or SIPPs. I hope II is left alone to do what it does. Though I doubt that will happen and abrdn will apply likely their reverse Midas touch to the business. Perhaps.
    I received that email today too. I haven't used my ii account in a long time (I thought I'd closed it!) so not really affected fortunately.

The email read like they were going to remain separate, with their own FSCS registration, which should be reassuring. However, give it a couple of years and Richard Wilson will be out and then things will change.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    What a shame. Aberdeen (abrdn as they comically call themselves now) are buying the retail investment platform Interactive Investor. Abrdn are a train wreck since the merger with Standard Life, whilst Interactive Investor has become a terrific low cost retail platform for those who like a fixed fee platform for their ISA and/or SIPPs. I hope II is left alone to do what it does. Though I doubt that will happen and abrdn will apply likely their reverse Midas touch to the business. Perhaps.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    A quick question. Do people have accounts with different companies? I have my S&S ISA with Vanguard but am considering using iWeb for general use as I want to access Fidelity as well as Vanguard funds (I would use iWeb for Vanguard as well).

Just doing my research but it feels a bit of a 101 question.
    Not me, no. Nor the portfolios I run for family. The investments you hold, if in a retail investment platform, are segregated from the assets of the company that manages the platform. In the case of a SIPP, the assets are held in trust anyway so there's another layer of segregation. It is quite obvious that should a malevolent employee choose to dip his fingers into the till, no doubt he/she will do so irrespective of safeguards. My take, therefore, is that barring major fraud, my investment is pretty safe at one of the mainstream retail investment platforms. Others take a different view, but I think there is value for me having everything in one place. HTH.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    A quick question. Do people have accounts with different companies? I have my S&S ISA with Vanguard but am considering using iWeb for general use as I want to access Fidelity as well as Vanguard funds (I would use iWeb for Vanguard as well).

Just doing my research but it feels a bit of a 101 question.

Leave a comment:

• lecyclist
    replied
    MSTR provides exposure to approximately .95 BTC per 100 shares and is purchasable via your SIPP (once you have completed a W-8BEN form on your SIPP platform). Currently trading at $550.05 per share, with analyst price targets as low as $360 from Citigroup yesterday, it could be considered a future buy if you are bullish on the prospects for crypto, and are comfortable mixing business value and BTC value.

Here is a nice chart from the Reddit thread, that suggests valuations based on varying BTC prices. Note that currently BTC is $31000, which aligns with the current negative analyst consensus.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X