• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lost money due to government dept "losing" my SC"

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

not in all cases.
    I have left a client, and returned to the same client, within a year, and continued to use the same SC.
    Why is this so hard to understand. Clearance - any clearance at any level - is fundamentally a risk assessment. Returning to the same client means the risk assessment is still valid provided you haven't a short holiday in Afghanistan or something out of sight of the security services. So why waste time running the whole process when they only need to check your recent history?

Secondly, "within a year" is pretty significant. It is a convention that clearance stands for 12 months after you leave the post, purely to save paperwork and scarce effort. It is not a given (as I have said repeatedly) and may not always be transferable (as I have also said repeatedly).

Thirdly, they will have run a check (or two), it's just that haven't told you they have. Equally if the client isn't a Department or an inside the wire agency, they tend not to be very precise about SC rules anyway; certainly any Department won't take a commercial SC on trust but will require a re-vet.

Finally - and rather more to the point - we are talking general cases, in the vague hope that people will begin to understand the process. One-off edge cases don't help.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

You opened your first mail with a comment about sarcasm from me. For a change you've actually asked a fairly reasonable question and I've provided a reasonable answer in my opinion. All was going well.

So why throw this stupidity in and derail what must be the first post this year that might actually stay in prof forums? Just no need.

You only reduce yourself back to an idiot for even mentioning it so why did you do it?
    No, he's played you for an easily-baited fool who can't resist starting a fight in the professional forums.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

No, all cease immediately you leave the post it applies to. See my earlier post(s).
    not in all cases.
    I have left a client, and returned to the same client, within a year, and continued to use the same SC.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

depends.
    I have seen some for contractors that are 7 years.
    But all cease 1 year after you've left TTBOMK
    No, all cease immediately you leave the post it applies to. See my earlier post(s).

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by smatty View Post
    If you got it in 2017 then it'd have expired after 5 years anyway wouldn't it, so you'd have needed to reapply this year anyway.
    depends.
    I have seen some for contractors that are 7 years.
    But all cease 1 year after you've left TTBOMK

Leave a comment:

• smatty
    replied
    If you got it in 2017 then it'd have expired after 5 years anyway wouldn't it, so you'd have needed to reapply this year anyway.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Haven’t you whined about this before?
    He has but this time he's capped it off with a question about legal options.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Haven’t you whined about this before?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

OK fair enough.....

BUT you've got to admit, an agency will call you for a new role and ask "So do you have SC thats been used within the last 12 months?" On the basis of your answer being yes then they will put you forward on the basis that you have existing SC.

I appreciate what you're saying, but, from personal experience only, if you get the role its a case of transferring. I get that your clearance might not fit the new role but how often does this happen?

I get that this is maybe not the way the system should work but thats what happens in practice?
    It happens more than you might imagine, especially if you are moving across Departments such as Home Office to MOD. And SC clearance within commercial companies (i.e. "outside the wire" companies who are not bound to a Department) are so sloppy about it it doesn't really matter; go from Capita to a real Department role and you will be re-cleared regardless of what Capita think you have.

And you are not telling me you believe what an agent thinks is right, are you...

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

No, not at all. The clearance belongs to and is dependent on the role. It is possible that the basis for the first clearance does not satisfy the risk analysis for the second one.

The one year doesn't exist, it is merely a convenient practice. You could still get binned anyway if your clearance doesn't fit the new role.

And if the previous SSO has no record of your clearance for whatever reason you don't have clearance.

And I've told you this at least twice....
    OK fair enough.....

BUT you've got to admit, an agency will call you for a new role and ask "So do you have SC thats been used within the last 12 months?" On the basis of your answer being yes then they will put you forward on the basis that you have existing SC.

I appreciate what you're saying, but, from personal experience only, if you get the role its a case of transferring. I get that your clearance might not fit the new role but how often does this happen?

I get that this is maybe not the way the system should work but thats what happens in practice?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Its a grey area but I think most people, agencies included, work on the premise of "have you had SC within the last 12 months?" If so then good to transfer it..
    That's right but that isn't enough of a basis for a legal claim if you get me. Agency assumption/stupidity/lies doesn't really make a case.

As for due diligence, I had a letter from 2017 telling me I had clearance. I tried all ways to tell BEIS, that "look I've got this letter with this persons name on, whats happened to my SC?" BUT as you know things move slowly.
    We mentioned this in the original posts you had about this but if you are leaving an SC gig the least you do is speak to the onsite security team, find someone that is capable and aware of the situation and get email/phone numbers so you can contact once you are offsite to transfer it.

At this point their team would have said we can't find it and you could have started down this rabbit hole before you'd even left the client.

When I say diligence I mean covering your own arse so you are fully aware of the situation for when you leave. Keeping your house in order even if theirs isn't if you get me.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

Its a grey area but I think most people, agencies included, work on the premise of "have you had SC within the last 12 months?" If so then good to transfer it.

But yes they're initial reply basically says that. Its not guaranteed, you can't rely on it. Basically, if we **** up then its tough titty.
    No, not at all. The clearance belongs to and is dependent on the role. It is possible that the basis for the first clearance does not satisfy the risk analysis for the second one.

The one year doesn't exist, it is merely a convenient practice. You could still get binned anyway if your clearance doesn't fit the new role.

And if the previous SSO has no record of your clearance for whatever reason you don't have clearance.

And I've told you this at least twice....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    On the plus side, I did claim a bit of JSA and even got tax credits for one month....
    You opened your first mail with a comment about sarcasm from me. For a change you've actually asked a fairly reasonable question and I've provided a reasonable answer in my opinion. All was going well.

So why throw this stupidity in and derail what must be the first post this year that might actually stay in prof forums? Just no need.

You only reduce yourself back to an idiot for even mentioning it so why did you do it?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Also, Mal needs to clarify this but even if you held SC at a previous gig it isn't a given it's transferrable. SC should exist with the gig not the person or something like that so even if you had it in the past it's not a guarantee it's available for the next one. Mal words it better than that but it's another argument they can bring up to obfuscate the situation.
    Its a grey area but I think most people, agencies included, work on the premise of "have you had SC within the last 12 months?" If so then good to transfer it.

But yes they're initial reply basically says that. Its not guaranteed, you can't rely on it. Basically, if we **** up then its tough titty.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    ...because some donut didn't do things properly...
    Bit of an open goal there

Leave a comment:

Working...
X