• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Freelance while full time"

Collapse

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

Issue with that is the first question should be more like

Your new client is happy for you to work outside of UK office hours with no contact within those hours?
    I think you've put more effort into analysing what i wrote than i did thinking about exactly what to write.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    user400058, i've created a simple flow chart for you to follow

Click image for larger version Name:	flowchart.png Views:	0 Size:	83.7 KB ID:	4192141
    Issue with that is the first question should be more like

Your new client is happy for you to work outside of UK office hours with no contact within those hours?

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    user400058, i've created a simple flow chart for you to follow

Click image for larger version  Name:	flowchart.png Views:	0 Size:	83.7 KB ID:	4192141

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

It states he can't unless he has permission.

And that's gonna happen. Can I work on another client on your time please. Erm.. let me think about that one.

Just trying to give the OP a clear view on reality. Art of the possible is there but shouldn't be getting his hopes up.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 12 November 2021, 13:34.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Theory yes, in this case no. He's posted his T&C's which very clearly states he can't.
    It states he can't unless he has permission.

without the prior consent in writing of The Company

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I had a discussion with an HR person a few years ago (maybe out of date ), who said that it's almost impossible to enforce a notice period of more than the pay period (1 month), and with a one month notice, you can't require them to come into work - so either gardening leave, or allow them to go.

Only if you work during gardening leave (during the one month), can the firm do anything. And even then they're limited. However, always best to negotiate and leave on amicable terms. It's just good to know where the power balance lies.
    Oh just to add for the OP. Chance of a gig either evaporating or being further delayed with such a long lead time is very high. A distinct possibility you won't be starting anything on the day you think.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by user400058 View Post
    I am still undecided. I have being asked to start in 5 to 6 weeks unfortunately full time employment has 3 month notice very frustrating....
    I had a discussion with an HR person a few years ago (maybe out of date ), who said that it's almost impossible to enforce a notice period of more than the pay period (1 month), and with a one month notice, you can't require them to come into work - so either gardening leave, or allow them to go.

Only if you work during gardening leave (during the one month), can the firm do anything. And even then they're limited. However, always best to negotiate and leave on amicable terms. It's just good to know where the power balance lies.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    You can do two contracts at the same time, as long as you are honest booking hours, though some employment contracts require permission. If you double book that's more than a breach of contract.
    Theory yes, in this case no. He's posted his T&C's which very clearly states he can't.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    You can do two contracts at the same time, as long as you are honest booking hours, though some employment contracts require permission. If you double book that's more than a breach of contract.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Totally agree with this. I really appreciate the replies from all the posters here but not want to see this turned into keyboard battle field. Please lets show some respect for each other. If you don't agree with something just ignore it.

I am still undecided. I have being asked to start in 5 to 6 weeks unfortunately full time employment has 3 month notice very frustrating....
    Remember getting your 2nd gig is the hardest part. You won't have any dovetail or comfort job. When the first gig ends you'll have no income and you'll still be a risk to a client with only 1 gig under your belt. There will be many many more experienced contractors ahead of you. Getting one gig out of the blue while you are comfortable in a perm role isn't being a contractor.

You'll also actually be poorer in your first gig than ever as you have to concentrate on saving a pot of money to keep you through 3 - 6 months of being out of work. Don't get giddy about the rate, you'll be on the absolute minimum you can afford until you've 30k+ in the bank and you can't touch that.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Totally agree with this. I really appreciate the replies from all the posters here but not want to see this turned into keyboard battle field. Please lets show some respect for each other. If you don't agree with something just ignore it.

So, are you happy to walk away from your full time job.

If so hand you notice in and try to reduce the notice period...

Leave a comment:

• user400058
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    You are both needlessly aggressive in your posts. Pack it in. This thread was perfectly polite until you two turned up. This is the professional part of the site - keep it that way.

Last edited by user400058; 12 November 2021, 10:01.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by ensignia View Post
    Lots of the usual suspects on here will blather on about it being impossible, and that companies are paying for your time between 9-5 (and with no hint of irony bang on about IR35 being about deliverables/objectives etc and not bums on seats), but the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I've had multiple clients at the same time who all expected full time resource for a set of project deliverables, and that's exactly what they got i.e. the deliverables outlined within the time specified. It made no difference that I was working "full time" for another client at the same time as long as they were happy. I would suggest they were because each one extended beyond the original end date until I was juggling three full time gigs at once and had to decline one just because I valued my time more.

The people on here who are dead against it are jealous they don't have the faculties to manage multiple clients at once and get the resultant benefit of the multiple sources of revenue, and not because of some moral fortitude or ethics.

Feels good seeing the company coffers swelling up at a previously unheard of rate
    *cough* -
    I have multiple clients. However I didn't have to ask on here how to do it or whether I can do it. I knew what was involved and did it.

Yes it's possible (but not for the OP), but anyone who has to ask has an immediate problem and can only see greed. If you are running a genuine business then you don't need to ask as that is what a business does.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by luxCon View Post
    Don't listen to the usual bully grumpy lot who have nothing better to do than spread negativity, and refer you to an accountant every other post !! The higher their number of posts on the profile, the more rubbish they spread around.
    Originally posted by ensignia View Post
    Lots of the usual suspects on here will blather on about it being impossible, and that companies are paying for your time between 9-5 (and with no hint of irony bang on about IR35 being about deliverables/objectives etc and not bums on seats), but the truth is somewhere in the middle....

The people on here who are dead against it are jealous they don't have the faculties to manage multiple clients at once and get the resultant benefit of the multiple sources of revenue, and not because of some moral fortitude or ethics...
    You are both needlessly aggressive in your posts. Pack it in. This thread was perfectly polite until you two turned up. This is the professional part of the site - keep it that way.

You also seem to not have noticed that this isn't about multiple concurrent contracts, rather taking on a contract while in permanent employment, which very commonly precludes any outside commercial activity without the employer's consent. Such as the OP quotes from his own contract.

Just retrieved relevant lines from the contract letter.

Because you are employed on an exclusive basis, you promise that you will not during the continuance of your employment either alone or jointly with or on behalf of others, whether directly or indirectly, engage in, carry on or be interested in or concerned in any other business trade or professional occupation whatsoever (without the prior consent in writing of The Company), otherwise than as a holder of no more than 10% in aggregate of any class of shares, debentures or other securities issued from time to time of any company which are listed for the time being quoted or dealt in on any recognized investment exchange. For the avoidance of doubt, you must declare all outside business interests that have the potential to conflict with the commercial interests of the company or which is likely to bring the company into disrepute in accordance with the policies on the Policy and Information Site. Such outside business interests include but are not limited to any outside employment, directorships or material shareholding.
    Of course the OP can breach the terms of their employment contract, but if their employer finds out, they'll be dismissed for gross misconduct. That's probably a risk he doesn't want to take.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

Go back and read the OP’s contract and then tell me how the OP can do what you are suggesting within the employment contract that was signed
    Sush you usual suspect and calm your blathering. Pointing out facts related directly to the OPs question and giving the correct advice isn't going to appease ensignia.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X