• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    You need to have words with yourself
    I shall...in my sleep

night
    Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post
      I shall...in my sleep

night
      Cheerio Ted
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Blimey, it's Saturday all ready.

Comment

Blimey, it's Saturday all ready.
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
            Evening Diver

Now you're here to look after the place I can head off to bed!
            Last edited by voodooflux; 5 September 2008, 23:39.

Comment

Evening Diver

Now you're here to look after the place I can head off to bed!
              I'm orf too Goodnight v

Comment

Holy, crap, I is bollocksed wiv de drink

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                have a nice time
                I refer the honourable denizen to the reply I gave a few lines above

The food was very good - although it seemed to consist to an enormous extent of vegetable matter like "cole slaw" and "potato salad" (which I leave for food to eat), so my assessment is based solely on the quality of the free range pork and leek sausages.

Quite how one allows a leek to range freely is beyond my comprehension, but the pigs seem to have done well on it - not so much from their perspective, I suppose, but definitely from my point of view

There had also been burgers, but the staff (who were doing an excellent job of keeping a buffet for about three hundred webby types well stocked) had, at the point where I made it to the actual buffet, only just managed to replenish the vegan burgers - it would have been churlish to hang around, getting in other peoples' way while hoping for proper food-based burgers, so I didn't.

As expected, the drink available was execrable - I managed to force down a pint of Draught Guinness (secondary conditioning occurs at brewery, then it's pasteurised, filtered, shipped, and finally dispensed by top pressure with a mixture of 70% nitrogen and 30% CO2 - appetising, isn't it?) while I was guzzling the sausages, but I then gave my remaining beer tokens to a guy who, that very morning, had open-sourced a code library created by his company which dramatically lowers the bar for those seeking to do lots of cool "social web" stuff. I then went to the pub recommended to me by Attila the Stockbroker a couple of years ago.

Although all the ale there is excellent (they do serve lager as well, but either imported guests or the standard one, which is an organic lager brewed by the small brewery that owns the pub and called "Natural Blonde" ), it so happened that the nicest, not-what-you'd-normally-find ales tonight were all quite strong.

And as I don't usually go down the pub so early, I got quite inebriated

Still, walking back to the Grand through a vicious gale (and what seemed like a fairly vicious lot of Brighton clubbers) refreshed me enough that, upon returning to the Grand, I wandered into the bar to find myself the only one there. I almost felt guilty about asking for a pint of Bass (which they keep fairly well, by the way) - it seemed like they were hoping to shut up shop soon.

Then a bride (assuming it's not just some lass who wears a bridal dress every Friday night) and her groom arrived, wanting drinks, and also calling for sandwiches. So somebody was summoned from the kitchens.

Not long after, the place filled up with the members of the wedding party who had been chucked out of the function suite, and directed to the bar.

I foresee a lot of overtime for those chaps - there were still about forty people down there when I closed my book and retreated to my room

BTW, the book was Attila the Stocbroker's latest, which I bought at the pub, on the grounds that it was him that recommended the place to me - he gets the full price in his own pocket that way, as the pub don't take anything off the top

I would recommend it to anybody who seeks an antidote to the vile hate-speech that forms the mainstay of General, and their Usual Sources. He tells those cnuts where to get off, and no mistake

Originally posted by Bear View Post
                Hell!!!!! I'm tired!!!

My one front page has suddenly turned into 5 pages.

aaarrrggggghhhhh!!!!1
                Information architecture. It's a bitch. I would posit that, if you need five pages, you don't have a clear proposition. But I am drunk, and have no idea what you're trying to achieve.

That'll be scope creep
                Not necessarily... though possibly...
                Last edited by NickFitz; 6 September 2008, 01:49.

Comment

It's even stormier tonight than it was last night - major spume action on the beach

There are two separate banks of lights over to the west, well beyond the ruins of the West Pier (the buoy near the end of that flashes a red light every five seconds, if you're ever navigating this way). I assume these are vessels some distance out at sea, but they don't seem to have moved much over the last couple of minutes - possibly because of headwinds.

The one closest to my position seems to be displaying a red light which, IIRC, is shown to port, and therefore implies that it's heading eastwards up the Channel. I couldn't pick out a navigation light on the other - probably because it's even further away. If they're a long way away that would also explain the apparent lack of motion as being due to the parallax effect.

I do like to be beside the seaside

UPDATE: They're still there...
                  Last edited by NickFitz; 6 September 2008, 02:55. Reason: Urgent news...

Comment

morning all

Comment

Morning all

Babysitting the granddaughters

The little one has become a hyperactive nightmare

E No's or Sugar? I don't know, but she was a right handful last night. She's loud and bounces or runs around everywhere. Finally got her to sleep at 11:00 last night

Comment

Working...
                      X