• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diver View Post

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    Evening Diver

Now you're here to look after the place I can head off to bed!

I'm orf too Goodnight v

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    morning all

Morning all

Babysitting the granddaughters

The little one has become a hyperactive nightmare

E No's or Sugar? I don't know, but she was a right handful last night. She's loud and bounces or runs around everywhere. Finally got her to sleep at 11:00 last night

Enjoy...
    morning

some children are like that - I was always hyperactive and a total nightmare when small.

though I still recommend Gina Ford - plus vodka in the bottle!

hmmm - nothing much changes!

She's just flooded the bathroom

To a resounding chorus of "I maked the floor wet, I like to move it move it" D

Lucky Gran & Grampa....
    Morning folks

Morning

Morning

On my way...

WHS
    Daughter has just picked up the girls. Her hubby is away on a contract this weekend; so she and the girls are spending the day here tomorrow

It's ok, I have tranquillizers

Ah, the relief.

Until the morrow...

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Home again... lots of lovely rain to drive through on the way back, and "Long Delays" on the M1, so I nipped up the M40 instead. Gave me a chance to have a look at the Telecom tower at Stokenchurch, which is always nice to see

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Afternoon denizens

Home again... lots of lovely rain to drive through on the way back, and "Long Delays" on the M1, so I nipped up the M40 instead. Gave me a chance to have a look at the Telecom tower at Stokenchurch, which is always nice to see
        Afternoon

I love that tower. and the view as you drive down the hill out of LOndon on the M40 near there.......

Comment

Afternoon

I love that tower. and the view as you drive down the hill out of LOndon on the M40 near there.......
          Yes, it's a great view as you drive through that really deep cutting

Comment

Evening folks

I just love driving out of London!
            Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

evening all

Comment

Evening folks

I just love driving out of London!
                Hard to think of a better view while driving out of LOndon though. The M20 at Wrotham Hill is okay - very fast too! A reliant robin was once clocked at 105mph down there - another chap at 172mph with his 5 year old son in passenger seat.

Comment

Back to life, back to reality... or something like that

Upon arriving at the FMB bar tonight, I was served a pint of what ought to have been Black Sheep.

Hang on, I need to go back a couple of steps...

I'd gone for the sheer indulgence of spare ribs and fried potatoes for dinner (not from the chippy, but prepared at home). Later on, the staff at my local were keen to head off elsewhere, so I finished my last pint in there pretty rapidly - they're good people, and I don't want to delay their enjoyment of a Saturday night.

However, as I headed to the FMB bar, the mixture of fried spicy food and hastily quaffed ale meant that I was troubled by a touch of indigestion, so I chewed a Rennie. This then meant that my palate was saturated by a minty flavour when the aforementioned Black Sheep was presented to me.

It seemed to taste like a mouldy carpet, but I gave it a chance, as my palate wasn't in a normal condition.

The thing is, it wasn't vinegary, which would have lead me to immediately declare that it was off - it was musty.

After five or so sips, I still had some vestiges of a mint flavour in my mouth, but it also tasted as if I'd been drinking the by-products of steam-cleaning a mouldy carpet

Just then, the on-duty-chap-who-knows-the-cellar finished serving some people nearby. Catching his eye, I said "Sorry, is it just me, or does this taste a bit... well, odd?"

"THANK YOU!" he cried.

"There was some debate about it earlier - I was just waiting for you to come in and say there was something wrong with it! I'll change it now!" And he belted straight off down the cellar, like Alice pursuing a rabbit

Apparently another customer had objected to it and the confusion arose because it wasn't actually "vinegary" - the members of staff consulted didn't know that "musty" is also an issue

He had been temporarily overruled, as the previous customer had accepted an alternative (i.e. lager or Guinness or some garbage like that) - but my verdict is, it transpires, paramount in there now. If I say the beer is off, it's off

Luckily I've devoted so much of my life to drinking beer that I'm usually right. (And I've never even joined CAMRA.)

And the Timothy Taylor's Landlord that came on in place of the Musty Old Sheep was wonderfully bright and flavoursome - though not as good as one gets from the good ladies of The Harp. But then, nothing ever is as good as that
                  Last edited by NickFitz; 7 September 2008, 02:47.

Comment

Oh dear, what a to-do

I really fancied listening to my rarer-then-hens'-teeth Nils Lofgren album, but after some exhaustive rootling, I just couldn't find the CD

I have the vinyl, of course, but given its rarity value I try to avoid playing that.

So I pulled out a blank CD-R, fired up iTunes, burned a new copy (while I went for a piss) and listened to that.

Thinking about it, that's probably roughly equivalent to the time it would have taken to wind up the gramophone and put a pristine needle in, about sixty years ago.

And that, right there, is why I love the 21st Century - it took me about fifteen years to find a copy of the original vinyl, but now I can avoid wearing it out by creating a new copy of the recording in the time it takes to pass water

Next week: hovercars and silver polyester jumpsuits which zip diagonally down the chest, the wrong way for right-handed people

Comment

morning all

Comment

Working...
                      X