• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning.

Damp with intermittent precipitation judging by the noise from the leanto roof.

Grey.

Sunless.

Cool in here at 20.9 deg.

1001 mBar (or a tad less), 29.559 in Hg, 750.8 Torr, 14.52 psi, (unchanged from last night), 73% RH.

Wednesday. Already. Where does the time go?

Meanwhile on 19th December 2018 (continued) I'd been up & about since 04:00 (really? seems unlikely), had managed to step on a nail in next door's garage piercing a brand new shoe and puncturing (slightly IIRC) the ball of my foot (no doubt slathered with antiseptic & alcohol to prevent gangrene), MS was still whereas NF seemed reasonably ok, with WTFH having "high level talks" about sommat or other.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the intermittent sunshine with occasional deluge.

Lunch: scrambled egg and poached tomato on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed toasted crust, bramble jelly & marmalade on slices of toast, red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Y&Y: the usual assortment of whines & whinges & frauds & illegal camping.

Freecell score in the intermittent deluge: 89%, running average 85%.

Potched about a little in a fairly aimless way & found Yet More Buttons (one of Strangelove Mater's little collections thereof, the big collection is down in the garage), a box full of half crowns, a tin of hapennies and pennies and farthings, another tin of what appear to be foreign coins, and several rolls of sticky & masking tape that now resides with the other sticky tapes.

Tea: meatballs with rice n peas, stewed apple (the last of that container I thought was lentil soup & turned out not to be) with custard (which I made sure didn't boil over today), 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

There was one of those very intense bursts of rain just as I started the washing up & the racket on the leanto roof nearly gave me a heart attack.

Entertainment: Wheeler Dealers S12 E7 VW Type 181 Thing: or the factory version of the beach buggy. Bought for $8k & they spent $4.5k on new side screens, bits of carburettor, parts for the petrol fuelled cabin heater, and a disc brake conversion kit.

The Sweeney S2 E1 "Chalk & Cheese": the armed robbers: one a toff the other a might have been boxer. Along with Lesley-Ann Down.

The Repair Shoppe: Olympic (Special) Torch, stuffed toy cat, jukebox that let out The Magick Smoke during the owner's wake, sign.

That's a novelty, servicing an amplifier with an angle grinder. And why not put a bit of fresh solder on the battery soldered connections to make it work like solder again?

The Sweeney S2 E2 "Faces":

Mach a Seo! Stirling Castle, the Wallace Monument: "Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom!".

Dr Pimplepopper.

That National Park Mysteries on Blaze: bollox about the Grand Canyon, Egyptian relics in a cave, followed by bollox about a plane crash in some National Park swamp that led to haunted airplanes when salvage parts from the crash were used to repair other planes. . Who knew that was a thing? .
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 8 September 2022, 16:31.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

METAR EGFF 070750Z AUTO 15010KT 9999 SCT016 BKN022 17/15 Q1006=

All quizzes with the exception of Heardle done.

Does anyone else get a sense of relief when, after the redundant/pointless "Hi" on the company messenger of choice, you get the "..." meaning they are actually typing something other than "Quick call?"?

Comment

Morning all

Sunny with lumps of fluff. Signs of overnight rain with more forecast for later today with risk of thunderstorms. Currently 18 degrees with a high of 21 expected. Barometer down to 1008 mBar.

Comment

The manager chap just turned up at my door to tell me the sale of the property has gone through, and they're handing over the keys in a couple of days

In related news, this afternoon I'm going to look at a flat over the posh side of town with a view to purchasing it

It's slightly smaller overall than this place, but various aspects of the layout mean it would probably fit me better - this place isn't very space-efficient. In particular, I would be able to put up many, many more bookcases

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            Does anyone else get a sense of relief when, after the redundant/pointless "Hi" on the company messenger of choice, you get the "..." meaning they are actually typing something other than "Quick call?"?
            One of the other developers on this team loves talking things through and hates reading text, whereas I'm the opposite. So he'll ask a question on Teams, and I'll quickly type out a few paragraphs explaining whatever it is in precise detail. He replies with the inevitable "Quick call?" and I then have to talk him through everything I just wrote

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              The manager chap just turned up at my door to tell me the sale of the property has gone through, and they're handing over the keys in a couple of days

In related news, this afternoon I'm going to look at a flat over the posh side of town with a view to purchasing it

It's slightly smaller overall than this place, but various aspects of the layout mean it would probably fit me better - this place isn't very space-efficient. In particular, I would be able to put up many, many more bookcases
              Ooh fancy!

Are the new owners kicking out existing tenants or are you just taking advantage of the change of ownership to move on?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

One of the other developers on this team loves talking things through and hates reading text, whereas I'm the opposite. So he'll ask a question on Teams, and I'll quickly type out a few paragraphs explaining whatever it is in precise detail. He replies with the inevitable "Quick call?" and I then have to talk him through everything I just wrote
                A chatty developer? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Ooh fancy!

Are the new owners kicking out existing tenants or are you just taking advantage of the change of ownership to move on?
                  Don't know yet, and neither does the manager guy, though he did say to get in touch if I needed to as he still managed a bunch of other places and "I don't know what this new lot are going to do…"

I'm just thinking it makes more sense to get ahead of anything that happens, and as I can just about afford to buy a small place right now, I might as well. Apart from anything else, I'll be too old to easily get a mortgage before too long

I went for the viewing and it's OK, but might be a little cramped for me. Good for the books though

More importantly, it has a garage and parking space, so the cars would be OK

I used my phone to make lidar scans of the rooms, so I'll get them into a 3D modelling thing and work out if I'll fit

As I was nearing home on the return journey, the sky darkened and a bolt of forked lightning flashed across the sky over the neighbourhood. Not sure if this is an omen encouraging me to get away from here

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

A chatty developer? Isn't that an oxymoron?
                    I know. It's very odd

Comment

Tea: pork chops with chips, peas and gravy. Delicious

There's a nice very gibbous moon rising outside - well, a bit past rising now, but it stays quite low in the sky at the moment

Comment

Working...
                      X