• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ouch! This week's 24 Hours in A&E features a chap who did a proper job on his ankle. It's definitely not supposed to be at that angle.

Comment

Here's a fact that the Kantar diary makers didn't spot:

Today is the reputed date of Julius Caesar’s first invasion of Britain in 55BC.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Ouch! This week's 24 Hours in A&E features a chap who did a proper job on his ankle. It's definitely not supposed to be at that angle.
        You haven't lived until you've seen a chap's shin bone sticking out through the skin of his leg after he's crashed his motorbike in front of you as you're going to work for night shift.

Poor sod was still on crutches two years later.

I wonder if it ever healed.

I think the accident was in 1974 since I was driving a Singer Chamois and that only lasted about 6 weeks.

IIRC the chap was offered the option of amputation.

He'd overtaken me as we were travelling down the hill towards 3M & thratched into the back of a Morris Marina that was exiting the top car park at end of shift.

The car driver got fined £25 plus my witness fee.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 26 August 2021, 21:06.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

You haven't lived until you've seen a chap's shin bone sticking out through the skin of his leg after he's crashed his motorbike in front of you as you're going to work for night shift.

Poor sod was still on crutches two years later.

I wonder if it ever healed.
          or seen what's left of four of your mates after their landrover got hit by an RPG.

Comment

Tea: one of those steak and caramelised onion burgers, in a toasted sesame bun with sweet chilli sauce, and fries. Very tasty

Comment

Telly tonight has been the first one-and-a-half episodes of the three-parter Bent Coppers: Crossing the Line of Duty on iPlayer, all about the rampant corruption in the Met in the 1960s and 1970s. Very interesting stuff; I knew it was really, really bad then, but I didn't realise it was that bad

Better get to sleep now so I can make an early start tomorrow and get it out of the way ready for the long weekend

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Overcast again, and the weather app was talking of drizzle in the next hour, though it's now rescinded the suggestion. Currently 13°C, with 19° expected; barometers up a smidgeon at 1016/1024mB

Sainsbury's will be delivering between 19:00 and 20:00 tonight, which is a good sort of time as some of my purchases can now join the options available for dinner, which they couldn't if they arrived much later than that

That's assuming they actually have any of the items ordered, of course. Possibly it'll turn out, once the order is picked, that all they can deliver is a single onion

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

Sunny.

Blue sky.

Chilly: 19.8 deg in here, 14.6 deg in the salting house.

1021 mBar, 30.15 in Hg, 73% RH.

Friday.

Smalls in the WM.

Smalls out of the WM and into the TD.

Shirts in the WM.

Smalls out of the TD.

Shirts out of the WM & into the TD.

Cottons in the WM.

Walk walked, for some of the way along paths I've never used before, a bit Frostian that.

Sort of

Originally posted by Robert Frost
                  I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.
                  Or something.

Shirts out of the TD and roughly iRoned, the hook fell off one of the hangers & the lot fell on the floor, happily enough inside the house on the carpet rather than outside the house on the path.

Cottons out of the WM and into the TD.

Lunch: poached tomato and scrambled egg on Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt toast, bramble jelly sandwich on same, red pippy corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Border Patrol (NZ): another pussy cat is about to get the bullet.

Two Indians trying to bring in a coconut: apparently it's not food & not a vegetable, but it is a $400 fine for not declaring it.

Then it was on to the Canadian Customs: more of the same but with more guns and ganja.

Cottons out of the TD & airing on the banisters.

After which I spent some time attempting to weld the new bit of pipe onto the back box of the exhaust using 1.6mm electrodes.

Either I've completely lost my touch, or the inverter welder is crap, or the rods, being ancient, are fecked, but it's the worst bit of welding I've done in years.

Thank feck for angle grinders and gun gum.

Tea: Tesco breaded cod, some peach slices, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: NCIS S16 E22 "And executioner".

Abandoned Engineering: marginally inneresting, including a loudspeaker on an island just off mainland China, a copper mine in Alaska, Swiss army knife secret bunker, though it's not so secret now it's been on telly.

NCIS S16 E23 "Lost time": missed this one coz I forgot it was on, so all caught up now.

Ian Hislop's thing about trains of 5+1: more inneresting than last week's.

The Terminator (1984) last 10 minutes "There' a storm coming".
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 27 August 2021, 22:27.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Walk briskly walked, green ring closed

As I set out there was indeed drizzle, but so fine that I didn't notice it until seeing spots of it in the dust on the cars, and it only lasted about two seconds

Still grey out, but with plenty of recycling collection operatives making their way around the area. And something I haven't seen for a while: children on their way to school!

This must be the week when they pay the price for the early finish for the July fortnight; though it seems a bit of a shame to make them go back before the Bank Holiday. The education authorities should just give them the extra week and hope the teachers can squeeze whatever happened with Bismarck after 1871 into the last lesson before the exams next year

Comment

Morning all

Blue sky and dry out. It was 13 degrees when I was getting coffee just over half an hour ago but it's now 15 apparently. The high will be around 20 degrees. It looks like the blue sky will succumb to cloud but no rain expected. Barometer steady at 1022 mBar.

Hoping some enthusiasm strikes me today. It's not looking likely.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
                      The 'Guinness Book of Records' compiled by student twins Norris and Ross McWhirter is first published 1955

Comment

Working...
                      X