• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all

Reasonably bright but cloudy. Dry at present but rain expected this afternoon. Currently 18 degrees with a high of 21 later. Barometer up to 1009 mBar.

A light breakfast of cocoa shreddies and a coffee has been had. Off to see a friend who lives over Hampton Court way for a BBQ. "Bring nibbles" is a very annoying request as I have no idea what a suitable nibble is.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
    Fidel Castro temporarily hands over power of Cuba to brother Raùl Castro 2006

It is also Black Tot day. On this day in 1970 the British Navy withdrew the daily rum ration.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Could have done with the electric blanket in bed last night, feet were freezing.
      Bedsocks! You won't regret it

Comment

It is also Black Tot day. On this day in 1970 the British Navy withdrew the daily rum ration.
        As long as they still have the daily bum ration.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Grey but dry out today, or at this point thereof, though drizzle is expected before too long. Currently at the expected high of 19°C and in a rollercoaster ride, the barometers are back up again at 1001/1009mB

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Off to see a friend who lives over Hampton Court way for a BBQ. "Bring nibbles" is a very annoying request as I have no idea what a suitable nibble is.
            People always like those little sausage rolls, and cocktail sausages. Just take a load of them and some crisps

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Tonight's first motion picture premiere (not major) was Assault on Wall Street (2013) though IMDb thinks it's called Bailout: The Age of Greed. I assume the title got changed once bailouts dropped out of the news. Anyway, it's not as exciting or interesting as either of its titles; fairly mediocre, though the twist ending is good if you make it that far

After that, a major mpp: Man of Steel (2013), a gritty kitchen sink drama set in Sheffield in the 1960s a Superman origin story. I thought it was very good, if somewhat unrealistic; anybody who's been there knows that the planet Krypton isn't anything like that

And finally some more of The Americans: S5E6 Crossbreed (TV Episode 2017), and S5E7 The Committee on Human Rights (TV Episode 2017).

Goodnight all
              Oh I quite liked assault on wall street, its good enough to be entertaining not high art. It didn't need special effects to carry it.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Oh I quite liked assault on wall street, its good enough to be entertaining not high art. It didn't need special effects to carry it.
                Yes, on reflection it wasn't too bad. I think I felt that, in the finest traditions of Wall Street, I was mis-sold it: the poster art (is it still called a poster if it's an image on Prime?) gave me the impression it was some kind of all-action thing, but until the finale it's largely about his relationships with his wife and friends and so on really

Comment

Late lunch: ham, pea and lentil soup with wholemeal bread

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

People always like those little sausage rolls, and cocktail sausages. Just take a load of them and some crisps
                    That's pretty much what I did. Some salt and vinegar chipsticks, dorito style crisps, mini sausage rolls and mini pork pies. Only the pork pies remained.

Comment

There was much rain, although the sun did make a brief appearance, so the BBQ was cooked indoors and we all huddled under a gazebo in the garden.

Comment

Working...
                      X