• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Morning all

It's a lovely morning out there. Sunny, dry, blue sky with fluff. Currently 14 degrees with a high of 20 expected. No rain forecast. Barometer up to 1022 mBar.

Having done feck all for two days, I really feel like I ought to do some work today.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
    Yellow balls are used for the first time at the Wimbledon Tennis Championship to aid visibility 1986
    Don't I had to present some stuff part of which my boss had helpfully written. Guess which bit broke last minute?

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Don't I had to present some stuff part of which my boss had helpfully written. Guess which bit broke last minute?
      Ah yes, the Kiss of Death.

From my experience:

The DF920 loop disconnect dialler chip from Siliconix: the memory, as designed by the Director of Engineering, just keeping his hand in, like: proved to be Write Only: ooops.

A HD6303 data terminal with associated touch screen: the only 63 pin quad flatpack layout ever seen on a pcb: rather than using a footprint the thing was laid out a pad at a time by the boss, and despite me going to extreme lengths checking the fecking thing, I never thought to check the pad count, so I was ever so pleased to find this out when 100 pcbs came back (he never bought the usual 5 engineering samples most places do), so it had green wires all down the side that had a pad less than it should.

It did work, but it nearly got set on fire when the battery shorted out, fortunately the burns were all inside the case.

It went from concept to a working thing for an exhibition in 6 weeks.

I got made redundant a couple of weeks later, thanks Phil.

Oddly I didn't get £700/day for any of that.

My bestest feckup was the replacement IC for a display backlight: it was a 20 pin SSOP so I assumed it was 25 thou pitch, which it wasn't, it was one of the very few metric pitch ICs: about 40thou pitch.

The 2nd attempt the pcb layout guy used a 50 thou pitch, which was also wrong but usable if the leads on the chip were bent a bit.

I think it took three iterations to get it right, then they obsoleted the IC.

But by that time I'd been made redundant so I didn't give a tulip.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 23 June 2021, 18:46.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

It's turned out to be a very productive day today, much to my surprise

Our app needs to be able to provide a feed of all its data in Activity Streams 2.0 format, for reasons, so I'm working on that at the moment. I have the source code for another team's implementation, but I figured ours didn't need to be as complicated; also, there seems to be a fair bit of code duplication spread around their various data models. Not necessarily anything wrong with that, but I had a feeling there was a better approach to be found.

And lo! By dint of making judicious use of some new Django features combined with a bit of lateral thinking, I now have a generalised implementation of the stuff necessary to construct the stream, which should work not only for the present but for any future models added to the app. It uses only documented interfaces, rather than relying on implementation details and hoping they don't change, and to be honest I was surprised that I got it working at all, never mind managed it so quickly

There was one bit left to do which seemed as if it might turn out be pretty complicated. Instead, it took about ten minutes to add it, so I must have done something right

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          There was one bit left to do which seemed as if it might turn out be pretty complicated. Instead, it took about ten minutes to add it, so I must have done something right
          It's always surprising when that happens.

Did you get the Reginald Molehusband feeling?
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

It's always surprising when that happens.

Did you get the Reginald Molehusband feeling?
            I got the "That's definitely a good point to stop for the day" feeling - I'd already got up from the desk than gone back again "just to check if {thing} would work" twice by then

Comment

Tea has been chicken madras with rice and naan, and very tasty it was too

Comment

I didn't get back up to the high street to pay for my shoe repairs so hopefully they haven't been binned and I can pay tomorrow instead.

Watched the second episode of building Hinkley - a big crane moves a thing around. Followed by Oak Island - more swamp diving.

I then came to a realisation that I might not have seen the final of Great British Photography Challenge so I watched that. HWMBO assured me we watched it together last week but I only remember bits of it.

Comment

Tonight's viewing was both the Hinkley Point programmes. Interesting stuff

And I found time to book a Sainsbury's delivery for tomorrow afternoon, to save me the bother of going there in person

Better get to sleep now. I hope I wake up feeling better than I did this morning

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Still didn't feel wholly refreshed when I awoke this morning, but once I was up and pottering about I felt rather less haggard and drawn than yesterday, which is better than nothing I suppose

Back to grey days now, currently 14°C and possibly reaching 20° later, barometers insignificantly down at 1014/1022mB

Sainsbury's will be delivering between one and two, and have everything I ordered; though, of course, that doesn't mean I ordered everything I needed

Comment

Morning all

Blue sky, dry, high level fluff. Currently 15 degrees with a high of 21 expected later. Rain forecast overnight. Barometer has dropped a touch to 1021 mBar.

Tired this morning. Much coffee needed.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
                      Kenneth Arnold makes the first widely reported UFO sighting near Mount Rainier in Washington 1947

Comment

Working...
                      X